IE and Gifs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac_Bug

Here's another problem besides the XP taskbar that's been bothering me. I don't think I've ever noticed this problem before in Windows 98, but in both windows 2000 and XP, using IE 5.5/6, whenever I visit websites loaded with gifs the scrolling slows to a crawl. IE does not display the gifs at their proper speeds, and a quick check of cpu usage shows that it goes WAY up when displaying any sort of GIF on page.

I have tried other browsers like opera, and it is free of this problem. Again going back to grahpic drivers etc, none seem to be making a difference.

Anyone here have any ideas?

This is a problem when the website posts a picture that is just absolutely enormous. If you ever looked through this post you will notice that some of those load very slowly too. Just because it is a big file has some things to do with it.

Try turning off Automatic Image Resizing in Tools->Internet Options... Advanced->Multimedia. There's also other various features you may want to disable in there as well. I suggest you follow 3D Spotlight's very own IE6 tweak guide to speed things up. Goodluck! :)

Actually this has nothing to do with those already suggested... (sorry)

Tiny animations such as the smilies are okay, but if they get any bigger (say a 100kb gif) moving around, the cpu usage of IE will go through the roof, and in effect give me the equivalent of 'ill-equipped' computer, when in truth it handles these perfectly okay in other conditions, and full screen flash with no problems.

As already mentioned, using Opera or other browsers and the problem does not exist. Not sure whether it existed before I went to an ATi though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back