IE and Group Policy question

Status
Not open for further replies.
i need to lock down my users IE access. i would like to know what's the best way to do this, and if its possible thru group policy in windows 2000.

i expermineted with the content advisor, but its too difficult to enable websites (for instance just enabling dell.com does not get you dell's whole website, since dell also uses www1.us......etc)
and i can enable the allow unrated websites, but that is too loose for me.

i am not so much worried about people visting adult sites anyways. i want people only hitting sites during work hours that are work related sites. so far no joy on my end.

also i wish to be able to monitor site access across the network and see what sites are being visited. how can i accomplish this, is there any way in windows 2k or do i need 3rd party software.

thank you

there's a great number of things you can do with group policy as regards locking down what users do, but if you really want to lock down internet access properly, securely and sensibly, monitor internet page access in the way you describe, then you need to be looking at a proxy server. There are probably freeware ones around but you should seriously think about ISA server from Microsoft.

ISA server from Microsoft would likely suit your needs, it can be installed on Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2003 Server, so if you don't have something like this you may have to get it soon. Unfortunately some of this software can be a tad pricey but its the best way to do a complete, professional job, without being a UNIX guru. (which if you were, you'd not be posting this question probably....)

I imagine that ISA server will be pretty easy to configure if you are an advanced enough windows person to be able to ask questions about group policy, its probably wizard driven a lot as well, which could be handy.

The proxy would also have the advantage of being able to cache frequently accessed pages as well, making access to them faster from within your organisation.

ISA server, does that come with Windows 2000 Server, or is it a seperate purchase? do you know if it can go on my main server (i have 20 pc network, so its kind of small), or do i need a seperate box...thank you for your information.

i was just reading somethign on proxy servers in a ms admin book, and needed to know more about it so this is very helpful information.

it does not come with windows 2000 server - its a seperate product. but its designed specifically with windows 2000 server in mind.

i just hit their website and i see what you mean. looks like its what i am looking for. thank you very much for the recommendation! i asked a few people on previous occasions and got nothing useful, so this is a tremendous help!
jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back