IE hijacked...please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshay

Hello friends,
I run virus scans regularly, have XP firewall, zone alarm and a hardware based firewall, but since past one week, everytime I try to start IE,
It tries to go to this website:
%68%6F%6D%65%70%61%67%65%2E%63%6F%6D%00@%77%77%77%2e%65%2d%66%69%6e%64%65%72%2e%63%63

and doesn't do anything after that,
Can I do anything to change this?
I have tried to change the default homepage a number of times, but to no avail.
Thanks in advance.
AKshay

I haven't checked for myself yet, maybe I will later, but for the mean time, does anybody know off the top of their heads if that web addy is written in hex?

Edit: never mind. Already ansewred my own question. Wasn't soing anything else I suppose so why not.

I wouldn't suggest clicking on the link. I'd rather that it was shown as plain text, but it translates as - "homepage.co[null]@www.e-finder.cc"

Thanks for the replies guys.
I do run spybot and adaware on a weekely basis and that hasn't helped teh matters.
I'll try the MS solution on their website tonight.
Thanks again.
Akshay

The best advise would be to change your web browser and use something else than IE, like Firefox for example, which I am successfully using for over a year now.

HiJackThis has a new version available - 1.98.0.0

You can use the Auto Update check, by clicking Config Misc Tools and Click the "Check for Update Online".

HijackThis 1.98: new build 06/29/04.

* Added 50 new Registry value to scan for IE!
* Added status text during scan.
* Added a ton of new files to the LSP whitelist (missing imon.dll shouldn't show anymore as well).
* Support for non-US character sets (Japanese, Traditional/Simplified Chinese and Korean)!
* Fixed a bug where R3 entries ending in '}_' weren't fixed.
* Backups are now placed in a seperate folder labelled 'backups'.
* Improved detection of O4 Registry autoruns, RunServicesOnce key is now also checked.
* Fixed a possible catastrophic bug in fixing of F2 Userinit entries (incorrect backup restore).
* Added small process manager and hosts file editor (Misc Tools).
* Disabled routine to fix O10 items, since this can break the Winsock LSP stack

Direct dl: http://downloads.subratam.org/hijackthis.zip

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

hey digitAlex,
Thanks for the tip, and I did download the Firefox at work today, and seems to work perfectly, Is there any way of getting rid of IE from my system?

Originally posted by akshay
hey digitAlex,
Thanks for the tip, and I did download the Firefox at work today, and seems to work perfectly, Is there any way of getting rid of IE from my system?

Just don't use it.

Removing it from the system can cause some really unexpected behavior, such as certain installers and many programs not working.

I'm glad I just created one more Firefoxer on the planet ;) Keep following us, and I will lead you to the light ....

hm hm

nevermind, it's friday and I definitely have to get some rest

Originally posted by akshay
hey digitAlex,

I like Firefox, yet you still need IE to run Windows Update. No way around it thanks to Microsoft.

You must have a spyware/trojan.
Sometimes this happens to me when some website embeds iteslf in the startup weblink.

Originally posted by BrownPaper
I like Firefox, yet you still need IE to run Windows Update. No way around it thanks to Microsoft.

2000 and XP have the "automatic update" installer, so you just might be able to get your updates without IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back