IE problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

boeingfixer

Hey gang,

Quick question here, how come when I download several things using Internet Explorer I can only download them two at a time.

Is there a way to change that ?? So if I have a list of 5 files, I can download all five instead of two at a time ??

Thanks

I'm afraid not. Does the fix not work? It did for me....

To comply with current Requests for Comments (RFC), Internet Explorer limits the number of simultaneous downloads to two downloads, plus one queued download. This configuration is a function of the browser. However, as connection speeds increase, and the number of total connections that are allowed to Internet servers increase, the two-connection limit may be restrictive. To increase the number of simultaneous connections that are allowed to 10, follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate the following key in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry values:
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=Dword:0000000a
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=Dword:0000000a

Quit Registry Editor.

I have Win XP, in the "Edit" colum I do not have ADD VALUE, I have different ones.

Anyone with XP can you offer help ?

V, I have tried those before and only have limited success. I would like to change it in IE. Actually I should just switch back to Netscape 7, it is much faster than IE.

Anyway, can anyone help with the XP settings ??

I read the solution to this problem in a computer magazine at work...

Unfortunately, i've completely forgotten what it was...:rolleyes:

Give me a day or two and i'll find the mag and post the solution on here, ok?

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
My tweaking program can do this.
I went through it twice and didn't see it, maybe I'm blind.
But it would be nice to know how to do this through the registry, the MSKB doesn't really give a good explanation for XP, if you aren't framiliar with adding DWORD values.

This is to increase the the number of max downloads to 10 in IE6.

open Regedt32 and locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

On the Edit menu, click Add Value , and then add the following registry values:

"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=Dword:0000000a
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=Dword:0000000a

Close the registry and reboot.

I didn't notice it was the same as what Phant posted until I had already posted it, oh well too much good info is better than too much bad info.

Another thing, Vehementi, Download managers don't work on all servers. Many of them use anti leeching methods which won't allow the manager to download the file. Some of these are easily bypassed but others aren't, so it is easier to just let IE download them.

Sorry, but i can't find that damn mag anywhere...:mad:

Anyway i found this on www.siteexperts.com

Ok here they are. Just change them to whatever higher number you like. The first is for HTTP 1.0 requests, the second is for 1.1 requests. As always, be careful when modifying your registry settings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server

HKEY_LOCAL_MACINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\MaxConnectionsPerServer

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\MaxConnectionsPerServer

http://www.siteexperts.com/forums/viewConverse.asp?d_id=9901

Although this looks identical to what Phantasm66 and Stormbringer said.

Maybe I'm missing somethign simple here.
nowwhat.jpg

those instructions on the microsoft knowledge base didn't seem to help me any.

Ok thanks to StormBringer I can now explain it for the people like me that didn't understand how to do it correctly.

Look at my screen shot above. Do that - Dword Value
Now right click on the new value you just created, something like new value #1, its the one thats highlighted by default since you just created it.
Now right click on it again and do Modify and then make sure its in Hexadecimal mode (should be) and just type in 0000000a in the box.
Click OK.

Now do the same thing for the other value that needed to be added.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
I went through it twice and didn't see it, maybe I'm blind.
But it would be nice to know how to do this through the registry, the MSKB doesn't really give a good explanation for XP, if you aren't framiliar with adding DWORD values.

I think it is on the Other tweaks page -> Under Internet Explorer Tweaks.

It might be that I have only just added it to my development version, so might not be in version 1.4 that is on my website.

Anyway it will be in the next public version if it isn't there already. Also I plan to include some other IE6 / WinNT-Based Internet Tweaks.

Jeez, I never thought that editing the registry would generate so much reiteration.... ;) It takes like less than 1 minute to do....

Yes, it was....probably.

If anyone but Phant is confused about this post, don't be. Phant knows what I am talking about and that is all that matters.

:)

Originally posted by Boeingfixer
PHANT, DO YOU NOT GET WHAT WAS ASKED??????

LOOK AT SNG'S POST ABOVE.....WIN XP DOES NOT HAVE THE "ADD VALUE" STRING.

I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO DO IT IN XP NOT ME, XP NOT 98SE, XP NOT 2000, XP ONLY IN XP......

GET IT ????

Firstly, my post was not directed at you, more at the thread as a whole. Perhaps I should have made that clear.

Secondly, I will admit that there is a hint of cheek there, but the proper response to that is a bit of cheeky banter back, not some angry half rant.

Yes I do get what was asked, please don't patronise me. If you look carefully at the posts that have followed mine you will see that the instructions are easily adapted for the OS you are using. SNGX even posted a screenshot, which is pretty much a spoon fed answer I think.

If you are still having difficulties, the proper thing is to post back calmly and ask for more help.

Please remember that any help you get here is strickly on a volunteer basis; no one is getting paid for this or anything. If you aren't happy with the help you are getting, look elsewhere. In the final analysis, in many problems here including the one you have posted in this thread, all I have done is do a couple of google searches and gone to support.microsoft.com. Its hardly rocket science but I am more than willing to do that for others.

Please bare in mind that you may again post here looking for answers to questions that I may know the answer to, and being rude is not going to encourage me to be forthcomming.

Based on your previously mostly gentlemanly behaviour here, I will assume that your tirade in capital letters is partially the result of some bad day at work or something. But please do bare in mind, as I said, that any help I provide is done out of the goodness of my heart and is not a duty or an obligation, and as such I find your responses harsh. There's no need for anger unless someone has been completely out of order which I don't feel I was and I don't feel others will. Once again I was not having a dig at you, but on reflection can see how a sensitive person might take it that way. At a push, that is.

That said, I am in no mood for an argument now or in the near future so please don't start one as a result of this reply. Either take the help that was given in the spirit with which it was given or go elsewhere for answers.

Originally posted by boeingfixer
Yes, it was....probably.

If anyone but Phant is confused about this post, don't be. Phant knows what I am talking about and that is all that matters.

:)

That wasn't your original post.

But if what you are posting is a retraction then that's fine....

It was a retraction. I realize you where trying to help and yes I have been pleasent to others, that is my character, but I did lash out a bit harsh. So long story short, consider my retraction my apology.

At this point, this may get me flamed, but That is the way to do it in XP. What SNG posted was pretty much the walk-through I gave him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back