IE suddenly extremely slow on response

Status
Not open for further replies.
IE is completely locked up for a solid minute on first execution. It doesnt matter how many I open up, it seems something is perhaps loading into memory?

Matter of fact after some more testing, it's any thing that prompts another "window" do open, is extremely slow to respond. It just started this evening out of nowhere.

Avast (AVG) doesnt find anything, Ad-aware doesnt find anything. RootkitRevealer spams a lot of entries, however if I'm reading it correctly doesnt seem to be anything unusual.

I read another very similar issue someone posted here on the forums, and they recommended to run and post a HJT log. So here goes..

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    5.7 KB · Views: 6
I ran CCleaner as well, following the sticky posted elsewhere on the forums. I noted a lot of junk I dont recall installing. yahoo toolbar and google toolbar. Seemed once I junked the four some entries between the two of them, my problem may be resolved. At least the extreme slow IE initial response anyway.

I don't do the hijackthis logs, but I did take a look. Why are you running so many nVidia processes? Are you doing heavy graphics? Using multiple monitors? Check this page from the answersthatwork Task Last and review what you don't need on startup.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_n.htm

Remember, the more you have on startup, the slower the process, And you will be running all those programs in the background.

You don't mention which version of IE you use. If IE7, hoe many tabs do your have set up? Additionally in IE, how many add-ons do you have enabled?

And yes, you do show a lot of 'junk'! The Google Toolbar Notifier, the Java updater, Messenger, several Logitech processes, Nostromo and on and on>> Understand that the only processes you need to startup are the anti-virus program, firewall if you have one. All else can be called up when you need the program. You are very media heavy. Do you use all these programs> Do you have then starting on boot?

I am using IE 7. I have no idea why so much junk was being started up. The nostromo is a gaming controller. All the nvidia processes, no idea.

I killed the google and yahoo tool bar. After running through CCclean, updating my AVG, and running the new one, it reported that I had six "Trojan horse Downloader.Generic6.AGDE" I cleared them all.

So, hopefully all is well now.

Oh.. and I downloaded zonealarm, which before I had only relied on the default microsoft virtual firewall thing..

Running...
AVG 7.5
Ad-Aware 2007
Zonealarm

which version of ZoneAlarm? I have heard of troubles and conflicts with later versions. If you can find a slightly earlier version, try that, else use another firewall entirely. Sygate is a good example. It's rather a pity that essential things like anti-virus and firewalls go in and out of best-of-class status, and it is quite a good idea to swap around from time to time.

BTW MsMpEng.exe gets a lot of credits on the web for being a terrible CPU hog. It is running on your PC. (Windows defender). Junk it.

You have 'extra buttons' presumably in IE7, described as 'network diagnostic', but the files are said to be missing. This looks like a failed uninstall. I think this is a likely possibility too and should certainly be investiaged thoroughly.

Anything that is starting up is doing so because it's on the Startup menu. You can control that by preventing anything from starting at boot with the exception of the AV program, firewall, touchpad if you have a laptop and network process is you have network set up. "Everything" else can be called up when needed.

The Google Notifier I pointed out does come with the Google Toolbar- it is suppose to check for updates (yeah right!), but you can stop that process and continue to use the Toolbar if wanted.

For Startup:
Start> Run> type in 'msconfig' without the quotes> Enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK all but what I previously mentioned> Apply> OK.

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again.'

Virtually every program wants to be on Startup. Usually the option is given asking if you want it on start up but this is easily missed.

If you find any of the programs these processes belong to are no longer being used, uninstall them in the Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs.

Do a Disc Cleanup to delete temporary internet files, temp files. History can be deleted also and it can be reset to keep only a minimum # of days (mine is set for 3 days).

You should also be doing the Error Checking occasionally, followed by a defrag.

For Error Check: My Computer> right click on Local Drive- usually C> Properties> Tools tab> Error Check> check both boxes on the screen that comes up> OK.

Close the nag message that comes up and Reboot. Checking will begin in 9sec. If this has not been part of your routine maintenance, it will take a while- let it finish. System will reboot when done.

All these things go toward making the system more efficient and better performing. Of course, it goes without saying to scan with all your security programs regularly, updating right before the scan.

It's a multi-layer process. When done regularly, the system stays in the best running condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back