IE6 flahes then error and yahoo msngr does same...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys! i gotta big problem and i know someone here must be able to help. i am pretty cpu handy, so dont be afraid to be a little technical with me ok? im using windows xp (home) and recently installed the sp2. I am now having problems with opening IE6 (which was also installed recently) and my yahoo messenger. they both pretty much do the same thing. IE will flash for about half a second (sometimes itll open like its going to load a page) and then the diolog box where it asks if you want to send an error report or not comes up (i dont send) and then it closes. yahoo msnger does the same but without the error box. i have used spyware programs to see if that was the issue and its not.right now i am using Opera web browser and it works, but i would really like to fix the other problem. any help would be greatly appriciated. :eek:

So you are "cpu handy" eh? Don't know if I'd use that phrase exactly :)

Then what do you mean IE6 was "recently installed"? IE6 comes with XP, are you using an older OS that came with 5.5 or something? Like 2000 or 9x? So give us some system specs and what you mean by installing IE6.

Also, is Opera set as the "default" browser? As in, if you go to an Internet shortcut, it automatically opens in Opera? If so, go ahead and send the error report. If MS has a solution, it should open it up in your default browser, or at least may give you some more details about the issue.

Otherwise, read this thread about posting your minidumps:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic35103.html

If you go in Safe Mode, does IE work from it? If so, then some 3rd party app, perhaps malevolent, is causing trouble from Normal Mode. If so, we'll have to clean your startups, read this thread about posting your HJT log:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic19133.html

The common thread betwix IE and Messenger may be ActiveX. You may need to reregister some DLLs, which we'll help with, if necessary, after reviewing your minidumps and HJT log.

So good luck!

P.S. Keep in mind that a tech forum is the only place where you can talk about "mini dumps" and it's perfectly normal and cool :)

ok well i have xp and i dont know what IE was there before (never payed any attention) i guessi should have mentioned before, i wasnt sure what to do when this problem started so i installed (well i guess REinstalled) IE6 (thats what i ment) and it solved the problem until i had to reboot and now theres nothing i can do. ill try it in safe mode and see what happens.

lol, when i said cpu handy i just ment that im not clueless.

When booting the PC and you press F8 to get the boot menu, you need to choose "Safe Mode with Networking". This will give you Internet access from Safe Mode.
If it still doesn't work, proceed with the Hijackthis thread and post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back