Iexploer won't browse, but I can ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaesu

I've tried many, many solutions today. Via winsocket fixes and safe mode tweaks. I have a customer computer that just will not browse no matter what I do. I even reinstalled IE and firefox, nothing will browse. I set manual DNS, and got the same.

I noticed in the info bar in IE it said it was connectiong to www.www.msn.com.net Last I checked that's wrong lol. However, I can't seen to fix the issue no matter who's advice I take. Customer messed it up because I just formatted the system 2 weeks ago and worked great. Since I don't know what he did, I have to go step by step. I'm out of steps.

Even tried other network cards, just for the hell of it.

Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem. Whatever I wrote in the address bar e.g. www.google.com it turned it into www.www.google.com.net

I even tried typing just google and pressed CTRL+ENTER and it still didn't work but after a few hours of searching the web with MSN Explorer (which comes with Win XP) I finally found a cure. First I downloaded AVG Free Edition from www.grisoft.com then the free ad-aware remover personal edition from www.lavasoft.com then I downloaded and opened this file:
www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_del_winsock.reg

and then this one:
www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_winsock.reg

:grinthumb after I did that, it started working again. A few of my friends had the same problem and it worked for them. I don't know if you have XP or some other OS but if you do have XP then this will help (oh and don't forget to update your Windows)

Peace

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up trying restoring windows and that worked. I just have to reinstall SP2 and a few drivers. Only dowside is the system is hanging at starup for like 2-3mins, but works fine after that.

Ping works but cannot use browser.

One item you may want to check is whether the proxy settings have been set. This is under LAN settings (Tools, Internet Options, Lan Settings). If you are on a corporate network running your own DNS, Active Directory etc. then quite possibly you may be using a proxy server (particularly if your corporate network utilizes IIS). However, if this is not the case, then uncheck the Proxy Server setting.

Thanks
Clayton

Reset IE Settings to default

RIES IE 6

Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab > Click reset web Settings.

Follow these steps to use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature from Internet Explorer 7:
1. In Internet Explorer 7, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Also you might wanna follow the instructions found here; https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/updated-4-step-viruses-spyware-malware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

lol 3 year old post. I was emailed u replied to my post. I don't even remember the computer.

Better late then never though eh?

Thread closed. Please don't resurrect old threads.
Read carefully before you start to post. In such a case, report the post rather than replying to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back