IEXPLORE.EXE error 0xc0000005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

About a week ago I started getting an error message pop up every time I tried opening Internet Explorer: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005)."

I mentioned it to a friend who suggested I try upgrade IE to version 6, which I did, but I still have the same problem. He also asked if I had installed anyone's toolbar, such as Google's or Yahoo's, but I hadn't doen that either.

I use AOL, but do most web browsing through IE. If I open a folder and then use the favourites dropdown or type a URL in the address bar, I get the web access okay, although hyperlinks only work 50% of the time. On-screen buttons (such as the 'Manage Attachments' button further down the current page) don't work, unless viewed or used through AOL.

I know, I could just browse through AOL, but that's not the point.

I've run HJT, and can't see anything suspicious there, but have attached the logfile just in case. Fact is, I know precious little about how the computer / OS and whatever else works.

If anyone has any advice or practical help, I'd appreciate it.

Steve

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    4 KB · Views: 7
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Boot into safe mode, and run HJT.

Let HJT fix all 016dpf entries.

Also fix this if it does not belong to your isp. 017 HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{4DF23585-762D-4CFE-9447-5532D4FD8ACD}: NameServer = 205.188.146.145

Apart from that, your log looks ok.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Blimey, that was quick! Thanks for the reply.

Okay, I did as you said, but am still getting the same message.

Steve

Hi Cranky,

Your Winodws may be infected by virus or faulty ram. Attach the following files at any webspace. The experts of the forum will study your log and dumps.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\drwtsn32.log
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp

IE crashing

My IE stops working and when i look at the technical info it shows Oxc0000005.
I saw where someone said post the Dr Watson. Where would i post it?
The only time it stops working is on the delta airlines site and we need this here at out office. I have tried this on 5 different computers and they all do the same thing STOP. Delta claims no one else is having this trouble.
Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back