if i format my c drive do i have to format my f drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SornyPanafonic

hey im planning on formating my hd and reinstalling windows completely, i just tried to do the 'repair' method but i got this error again while repairing -

unregmp2.exe - Entry point not found
The procedure entry point GetIMUS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL

and i got this one once windows booted up

SPRINGFLD_ADV_DAEMON:WksCal.exe - Entry Point not found
The procedure entry point GetIMUS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL

i dont know how to fix em - so i thought why not start by erasing everything.

the thing is that i have 2 hds - one 40gigs where windows is installed and 30 gigs worth of files (office xp, works, games, 14 gigs of music) and the other 80gigs which is where i have 70 gigs worth of files (games, music, movies). im ok with backing up my c drive since i have a dvd burner bu i really really dont feel like backing up my f drive (it would take like 15 dvds for one). so what i really wanted was do i have to format the second hard drive too once its recognized by windows (when i first installed it i had to format it)? or its ok to just format the my windows hd and thats it. much thanks.

oh and if you know what those problems are about lemme know so maybe i wont have to do this.:grinthumb

no you don't have to formast f; in order to format c:, but I would recommend that after you format C:, you partition it into a few smaller partitions, for various reasons, all of which you can read about by searching "partition" on the forums.

aaaiiight thats a good idea stormbringer. but i keep getttin this NT AUTHORITY\ SYSTEM is forcing my comp to shut down
i dont understand why its says because the RPC serrivce

That error is most likely because of the RPC excploit which was most famously used by the MSBLAST worm. Grab a cup of coffee and read THIS

i got away from the MSBLAST worm by just reapiring windows again and this time staying away from updating windows. so i backed up (from c drive) my music, favorites, cookies (the ones i want), word files, save games, mobo files, but i cant help think that ive forgotten some other files or settings.. hmmm...what else would you save?

also as for f drive - after i format c drive and do a clean install - the new windows will automatically see the files there and recgonize the hard drive without having to format it or anything? im sounding like a parrot here repeating the same thing but just wanna be sure.

also i got another question - i have games installed in f drive but show up in teh remove/install program thingy - will they be fine with the new windows or am i going to have to get rid of them?

Originally posted by SornyPanafonic
i got away from the MSBLAST worm by just reapiring windows again and this time staying away from updating windows.

I don't you think you understand how blasterworm works, or I misread your post here.

You fix Blasterworm by going to Windows update. It doesn't matter how many times you format and reinstall Windows, you'll keep getting it over and over again. As soon as you get online, Blasterworm takes advantage of a security flaw in Windows which can only be fixed by applying the patch or using Windows update.

Once you update your system, you will not only be protected from Blasterworm, but you will also supress the NT Authority dialogue if your computer is already infected.

mmmmmm brand new windows oh yeah - and running a lot faster then before. and it only took me 7 hours (i fudged it the first time by installing it in the wrong partition. but now its good.

NT Authority problem

I just started getting this problem. I have XP and service pack 2. I also have Nortons Internet security with the latest updates. But I still get shut down
almost ever time I start up my computer. I have tried chnaging my RPC services to not restart my machine but I am blocked from seeing this even though I have administrator privelages. My Internet Explores shuts down as soon as I try and open it, also the same thing happens if I try and start my Nortons anti-virus tools. Does anyone have any new ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back