If you can solve this you get beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretty

This is the weirdest problem I have ever seen. I am fairly up to date with all the computer hardware, so I find it a bit strange I dont have a solution for this.

Every know and then my screen goes black for about 2 seconds, then it will flick back on, and my mouse will be gone ( the cursor ) This will repeat untill I manually reboot. It just very quickly fades in and out. What makes it so hard to figure out is that it happens at complete random. No pattern. Sometimes it wont happen for days, othertimes it will happen when I just get into Windows

I originally thought it was heat, although I am using the 'recomended thermal solution from INTEL' Then I thought it was a AGP power issue. So I put in my old Geforce3 It sill happened. I tried flooding the memory, and that made no difference.

Any idea's?

Be sure you have all the up to date drivers installed - DirectX, OpenGL, ATi, Hyundai, etc.

Did you reformat and reinstall when you got the new system board, CPU and RAM? Latest BIOS flash?

First things first.....
How is someone going to know what your question is if it says beer in the topic? This is just dumb.

Plese state your problem in a descriptive manner so others can easily help.

As far as your problem goes, it sounds to me like your monitor might be faulty. I had a buddy who had this problem and all it was, was that his cable that connected to the video card was bad. This would expain how it happens with diff cards. A few wires got smashed down and caused them to short out. And it only happened every once in a while.

My recommendation is to check the cable to make sure everything is fine, if it is then it is probably something else. My guess is still that it is a monitor problem

But this doesn't explain the missing mouse part of it :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by poertner_1274
First things first.....
How is someone going to know what your question is if it says beer in the topic? This is just dumb.

Plese state your problem in a descriptive manner so others can easily help.

As far as your problem goes, it sounds to me like your monitor might be faulty. I had a buddy who had this problem and all it was, was that his cable that connected to the video card was bad. This would expain how it happens with diff cards. A few wires got smashed down and caused them to short out. And it only happened every once in a while.

My recommendation is to check the cable to make sure everything is fine, if it is then it is probably something else. My guess is still that it is a monitor problem
But this doesn't explain the missing mouse part of it :confused: :confused:

Yeah I was gonna mention monitor problem too, but the missing mouse cursor is what irked me.

How old is this monitor? Has it any physical damage to it? Have you had problems with it in the past? Is the cable in working condition? Have you tried it with a different computer?
Objection your honor, badgering the witness!
(I presume none of you are lawyers...)

Yeah the monitor issue is fine......its kinda new, and it doesnt explain why the entire system locks up.

Thanks...about the reply post, I pressed the wrong button..Sorry lads

How about disabling hardware cursor and other video accelerations in XP? Does this happen while using some other full-screen apps, like 3D games?

It might seem odd, but do you have a UPS or surge protector? You might be suffering from "dirty power", and if thats the case, then you need to get some sort of protection in place quickly as your system can and will suffer.

That might be a good point too Panic. Especially since she said the monitor is working properly. I still think it could be a monitor problem though. I'd suggest what Nodsu said about disabling the hardware acceleration, and post back.

Originally posted by JAV
BTW: I don't drink beer. :D

You woose!

Only j/k;)

Never trust a bloke who doesn't drink beer !!!
be warned, ive been there - and ive got stung....

:( :D

Originally posted by JAV
I drank enough in 15yrs to fill me up for a lifetime. :dead: Now I stay out of trouble & have $$$ in my pocket. ;)

To each their own, but I learned my lessons > the hard way!

Tell me about it - so did i... after 4 years of being drunk 6 out of 7 nights of the week i got alcohol withdrawal when i stopped and was on Beta-Blockers for a year :dead: thought i was dying...
I still like a drink now & again though...:p

Anyway:
Originally posted by JAV
I'm betting on a USB hub controller/PCI/AGP/XP IRQ sharing problem. If it is a serial mouse > leave the USB part out & continue. :grinthumb

I reckon its the computer - its gone wrong...

Where's my beer???

Well it doesnt happen in games or other full screen apps.
I have fixed that issue BTW.

I couldnt have any nVidia drivers installed, I could navigate around windows ok with the native driver. That sucked though. Alright I have that prob fixed, I had to unistall the AGP bus. I rebooted and thats all good now.

I think it may be heat now though. I can load games and play them for about 30 secs. Then I get artifacts, and it reboots. Would that be heat?

Im using my old Geforce 3 BTW, a mate of mine wanted to borrow the 9700PRO for a bit.

And yes.....I do trust him.

Originally posted by bretty
I think it may be heat now though. I can load games and play them for about 30 secs. Then I get artifacts, and it reboots. Would that be heat?

Those symptoms are almost always a heat related problem. If you're overclocking, tune it down a bit. Try running the PC without the cover on, clean out the dust, and see if you can put an extra fan or two in the case.

Im not overclocking, and I have the case of, and I have my system fan blowing air onto the back of my GPU.

I dont know what else I can do.

and I have my system fan blowing air onto the back of my GPU.

Angle that fan at your GPU Heatsink. Whats your ambient room temp?
Maybe you'll want to open a window. And don't forget to clean out that dust.

I dont think it's heat anymore.

Wouldnt it be heating up without the drivers installed too??

Heh... it's going to produce heat regardless.

This sounds more like a driver compatiblity issue over heat to me, though. Do try that though. If that doesn't solve it, update both your video card drivers and/or see if there are any patches released for the game you play.

Well Its not a virus....I have formatted 4 times in the last 48 hours.

I formatted and started again with XP, I formatted again and installed Windows 2000. I have just got back from another format installing XP again.

Thanks.....Ill just have to wait for some newer drivers, and hope that fixes the issue

CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have swapped the Geforce3 for a Geforce2MX. The problem is gone.
I can play games fine now.

So my mate has taken the Geforce3 card back to his machine. If it works fine on the machine then it is either:::

1) A power supply issue, as I only have a 300W with a P4 2,4ghz.
2) A 1 in a million confilct between the Geforce3 and the MOBO.
I think it would be power though. Lucky I'm getting the Radeon9700 back on Monday!!

Thanks to all that replied.....I am greatly appreciative.

Maybe your motherboard can't supply enough power to new gfx cards like GeForce3 or Radeon 9700.
Originally posted by Arris in Ti4200 on a 250W PSU?:
I tried to run a GF3 (Original version) on the GA-7IXE4, my flat mate has the GA-7IXE. When I tried the GF3 in the 7IXE4 I had nothing but lockup after lockup. I contacted Gigabyte support and was told that the AGP port on the board could support a maximum of a GF2MX400... Due to restrictions on the power being provided to it. I couldn't find a GIXE board listed on Gigabytes products web page so I am guessing you are referring to the 7IXE. If so I don't think the GF4 Ti4200 will run on that board. Check your boards AGP details in the documentation on the Gigabyte site and maybe fire off an email and question them on whether or not this will work ( I doubt it).

So what your saying is the motherboard might not be able to output enough power to the AGP slot? no matter what card except below the Geforce2 MX400? thats crap..

I have a Geforce2 MX200 in there right now...and its fine, so does that mean I will never have a high powered display card installed?

I'm surprised that no one mention the power supply angle?

How large is the PS and what is the Processor speed?
Is this a boxed job or custom built?

As far as the heat issue, how about the condition of the thermal compond between the chip and HSF?

PS: I don't drink beer either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back