I'm about to upgrade my CPU to an Athlon XP 3000+, but I've got SDRAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a full gig of RAM, and don't want to have to go out getting more, and most new motherboards don't use SDRAM. So, I'm trying to upgrade to the best processor I can get that works with my other hardware. Survey says Athlon XP 3k (I'm using a Duron 1.2ghz, Socket A 462 pins, right?). However, I hear that there may be compatibility issues with the 133mhz, ECC SDRAM. Wonder why, with all the crazy-specific issues. >_< Anywhom, I don't want to spend $90 on a processor that I can't use because I don't have the right RAM, so I wanted to make sure it worked before making the purchase. I've seen deals for premade systems that I think had the processor with SDRAM slots, but I've heard horror stories. If anyone could help me out here, It'd be appreciated.

Slightly off-topic: Is it suicide to try overclocking a Duron running a non-overclocked temperature of around 135ºF? I was going to try overclocking it until I got a new one, just telling it to shut off if the temperature got over 120º... Needless to say, I didn't.

You'll need to check your motherboards documentation for compatibility.

As for OC'n that duron, Maximum temp for that CPU is 95 degrees celsius or 203 degrees farenheit. So you've got plenty of elbow room theoretically.

Mkay, firstly I don't have the motherboard documentation. Hell I don't even know what kind of board I have. I do know that I have a socket A 462 with 2 sticks of 512 RAM currently running flawlessly. Does that ensure compatibility, or would there be something more I need to specify?

Also: So it would be safe to have an internal temperature of around 170º? Seems a little crazy to me, but if a complete stranger told me it was fine.... :grinthumb

It depends if your board supports the fsb speed of the new cpu, which I doubt, since you have a 1.2 duron. It probably supports 266mhz fsb, but that's a guess without knowing your board.

You could download everest and use it to id your motherboard.
http://www.lavalys.com.hk/products/everesthome.asp

Or you could look at the board itself and try to find a model number and manufacturer.

Then once you know the model, look it up on the mfg's website, and it should say the specs, so you'd know what it'd support.

I've got a ECS K7S5A, specs here. It does support a 266 Mhz FSB, so that's the most I could upgrade to? What is the Athlon XP 3k? Gonna check google.

Ah, highest I could go would be an Athlon XP 2800 (with a 266 fsb).

Suckily, it's more expensive than the XP 3k. Blargh.

J0eCool said:
Ah, highest I could go would be an Athlon XP 2800 (with a 266 fsb).

Suckily, it's more expensive than the XP 3k. Blargh.
Don't put an Athlon XP 2800+ in unless you verify the mobo specs or with someone who already did it.

The limit to upgrading those is the power limit of the onboard voltage regulators for the CPU and not the bus speed.

Putting a processor requiring more power than those regulators could put out will instantly kill the mobo, often times will also kill the processor and the memory with it.

Mobo fsb speed has nothing to do with processor speed? Mkay then. But I've still got to go with the 2600 according to the chart. (turns out that I misread the 2800 w/ 266 fsb, but apparantly it doesn't matter)

So 2600 it is! :D

J0eCool said:
Mobo fsb speed has nothing to do with processor speed? Mkay then. But I've still got to go with the 2600 according to the chart. (turns out that I misread the 2800 w/ 266 fsb, but apparantly it doesn't matter)

So 2600 it is! :D
Remember not to try OC'ng too much, 2600+ was the upper limit and when you go over the maximum regulator power draw she'll blow.

Also, my mobo could support a Thoroughbred CPU, right? It's currently a .18 micron technology, so would it work with a .13?

Mkay, it can. This thread is more like a blog now that I've got most of the posts...

Anywho, now the dilemma is whether to upgrade to the 2600 thoroughbred (2.1something Ghz) for $100, or to get a Duron 1800 (1.8 Ghz <.<) for $40. That's gonna take a bit of thought.

I have worked with like 20 K7S5As, and they are a PAIN. Whatever you do don't go above that 2600+.
And you'll need the very latest BIOS even to stick a 2100+ in there or higher.
Do NOT buy another Duron when you can get an Athlon.

The board doesn't use anything higher then your DDR266, which I think is the lowest DDR anyway. So your new CPU should most definitely work with your existing RAM.

A good, safe bet would be a 2000+ to 2600+ and a BIOS upgrade. Any higher of a CPU and you get into Barton 333fsb CPUs, which you can't use.

Sorry to say, I had nightmares about the K7S5A!

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back