Im getting ready to re-build my computer and....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just going to ask a few questions, and make sure that I am doing all of this at the right time.

About 8 months ago I upgraded my whole system to an AMD64 3000+, shuttle MOBO, Gig of RAM, and 2 80GB SATA HD's. Well, now that the game Oblivion has come out (I have a radeon 9550 btw) and since I didnt upgrade my VC with everything else, I am kind of in a delima. Originaly I was just going to buy a high end AGP card since my motherboard doesnt support PCI-E. However, coming up pretty soon I may be getting quite a bit of money, and I am thinking about upgrading my system again to a 939 board with PCI-E, and getting a dual core AMD 64 processor, and a Radeon x1900 xtx VC.

So, here are my questions for you guys.

I have heard there are some problems with the dual core processors right now, and that you dont really get a whole lot of performance out of them compared to regular single cores. So, if this is true. Should I upgrade all of this now, or should I wait untill there is a significant change in the hardware so that I get the full proformance of an X2. And also, in the realm of videocards. I work for Circuit City, so I get a 40% off accomidation on all of ATI's cards. Which is the real reason I am considering buying an x1900 xtx, but is it really worth the money? Or should I just dump this whole plan of huge upgrades and buy a decent AGP card, untill the dual cores, and videocards get upgraded?

Thanks in advance,
V

Well my 3800 X2 Duel-Core OC'd @2.5ghz can out perform My 3.2ghz P4 (SINGLE-CORE) OC'd to 4ghz in BF2.

(There are many backround severices in BF2)

But if you want a cazy system wait until AMD's new socket AM2 comes out!!

There also might be a new grachic card out at the same price as the x1900xtx

But if you can't wait you could always get-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103547- The CPU, scarry she is...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157087-The motherboard.

THE X1900XTX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102671

On sale today!!!

It seems that there will always be something new coming around the corner. If you keep waiting for it, you'll never get anything. Besides when new stuff first comes out it's very expensive. Then you will want to wait until the price comes down a bit but by then some other new thing will be on the horizon. Well, you get the picture.

I have an Asus Radeon X1900XTX and it is a noticeable improvement from an Asus Radeon X800XT PE I bought only a year ago.

Ok, thanks for your input guys, you both make some very valid points.

However, I was hoping that somone could give me a technical breakdown of the way to dual core processors work right now, and tell me what the best bang for my buck is gonna be in the processor realm. Im pretty much decided on all of my other components, just need a liiiitle bit more about the processors if anyone could help me out.

Dual core processors are definitely cream of the crop although I've heard opteron for socket 939 can be quite powerful. I have no hard evidence but supposedly opteron 144 chips can be overclocked to speeds approaching 3 GHz from 1.8 with the stock fan. I'm not sure that they could sustain that kind of overclocking long-term without improved cooling and many 939 mobo's will need latest Bios versions to support this cpu but maybe it's an option as at these speeds opteron's can be pushed close to the high end FX CPU's.

Well first to OC that high you need a mobo that can support the high votages On the CPU(2v + dc or modding with some ICs) . Decrease timmings, and frequency on the ram, and increase voltages on the ram. Increase the PCI-E voltage and you may have to lower the PCI-E bus.

To overclock to those speeds you have to find the right mobo and be very strong in OCing force.

lol

It can be acheived if you know what you're doing, and have done it before.

Yea, I know alot of you guys are really into OC'ing, but I personaly have no experience with it at all, and I never really have been comfortable with the whole idea, just because it can end up ruining your hardware. So basicly im just trying to build the best non-OC system, for the money.

Then go with 4000 or highier because, in my personal opinon, the 3800 X2 sucks at stock speed.

you need to have 2.2ghz or highier for desent performance.

notcorn said:
Dual core processors are definitely cream of the crop although I've heard opteron for socket 939 can be quite powerful. I have no hard evidence but supposedly opteron 144 chips can be overclocked to speeds approaching 3 GHz from 1.8 with the stock fan. I'm not sure that they could sustain that kind of overclocking long-term without improved cooling and many 939 mobo's will need latest Bios versions to support this cpu but maybe it's an option as at these speeds opteron's can be pushed close to the high end FX CPU's.

It can reach be reached to FX 57, but doesn't have them same technolgy in the Die.

Also I wouldn't make an Opteron CPU my main gamming computer. Because they are for networking, as the Athlons are ment for gaming. If anyone disagrees go to google.

CrossFire851 said:
but doesn't have them same technolgy in the Die.

Also I wouldn't make an Opteron CPU my main gamming computer. Because they are for networking, as the Athlons are ment for gaming. If anyone disagrees go to google.
Socket-939 Opteron 1xx parts & Socket-939 Athlon64/FX/X2 are the same thing. The Opterons just have a more strict quality control & better warranty. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back