I'm not sure where to put this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluescreenNoob

Well anyway this has nothing to do with computers but I thought someone here could help me. My gf recently dropped her tv set and it no longer works. It makes clicking noises and the picture is static. However if I bang on it (That's how I fix everything) This picture will come back for a second but then goes back to static. I was wondering if there was anyway I could fix this myself and if any of you know what the problem is? If not do any of you any tv repair sites for dummys that can help me diagnois and repair the tv? :grinthumb

It sounds like a wire has come loose, and when you bang it, it'll be stuck back in place for a short while...

You might be lucky, and the wire will be easily available when you open the tv up, and you can solder it back in place, but it could also be a hard to reach capasitator, which you can't just as easily solder in place...

Be sure to leave the tv unplugged for a long while before you start looking around in there though... The capacitators are able to keep quite a lot of current, which won't be too nice for your body if you short a connection...

Most TVs have single sided PC boards and the solder connections crack easily. It could also be a damaged yoke. Watch out for high voltages, even when unplugged, especially around the flyback transformer and associated circuitry. They can be deadly. If you aren't experienced at working on CRTs I'd recommend not trying to fix it yourself.

Yea just be careful. You could easily kill yourself opening up a TV if you dont know what you are doing. Even unplugged it is one of the most powerful peices of home equipment you can have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back