Importing username and passwords on 2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemri

Hi, I am trying to set up a new server at our school--but there is no real network admin here (our district even lost our main Admin guy who knows servers). I am doing it because I know the most out of everyone here.

I am trying (on a test machine) to import a bunch of middle school students into their appropriate OU and Group on a Microsoft 2003 Server.

The only way I know how to do this is with the CSVDE command, but what I am reading says I cannot import passwords. Fair enough. I guess I need a VB script.

The only scripts I can find are for giving the same passwords to all users (who are disabled) when I enable accounts and forcing them to change their password.

This is middle school, not business. If every student sets their own password then the rest of the year will be filled with, "I forgot my password; can you give it to me" requests.

Is there a way I can import all my students along with a separate predetermined password for each individual student? I am using their school ID number for the password. I have an excel sheet with the students First Name, Last Name, Common Name, and Password.

Thank you :)

Wouldn't that be ultra-insecure? Once you tell someone that their password is their ID#, then that someone can assume that everyone else's password is their ID# too. You should generate a unique random password for every user!

Why do you have to import users-passwords? What are you trying to do anyway?

Security is not really an issue. This is for a middle school. All the students have very limited access. The reason for the server is so the students have a place to store their homework. The worst scenario is if students get passwords to steal or delete homework.

If we do not do it this way, then students change and forget their passwords. Teachers got sick of students asking for their passwords, loosing their passwords, and forgetting their passwords. Even with threat of missing points, too much time was spent retrieving passwords.

It is cost effective for us to just predetermine the student passwords--then any teacher ca easily look up the password.

You should generate a unique random password for every user!

That is all this school needs, 1,300 13-15 year olds trying to track their own passwords.

I guess it is totally up to you.. I still think that you will find several little brats among these 1300 that would be happy to copy the homework of others or delete it..

I am not sure if it is a lot more complicated to reset the password of a user rather than look up the ID# of that student.

You could set up a password tax.. Every time someone needs their password to be reset, you charge them some x amount of money. Similar to someone losing their student ID card or suchlike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back