Improving gfx card's picture quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mictlantecuhtli

I wasn't sure if this should be in "Audio & Video" but this is a mod so I put this here.

Ok, one of the last posts in the old forum was improving picture quality on nVidia cards by bypassing RF filter. Well, I did this yesterday to my GeForce2Ti card and I do notice the difference. At resolutions 1400 x 1050 and above text is sharper now.
I got quite funny colors at first as I wasn't sure what to solder, green signal was bypassed, red & blue weren't etc. After a few tries colors are as they should be.
Here's the link from where I got information:
http://www.geocities.com/porotuner/imagequality.html

I hesitate to try it on my GeForce2 because there never seems to be an after photo(are people afraid to show their soldering skills or lack thereof) and I never use resolutions higher than 1024x768(monitors max).

-------------------------------------------------------
Duron 750@1000, Epox 8KTA3, 256Mb PC133, 30Gb WD HDD, GeForce2 Pro 200/400

Well, if I destroy my Geforce 3 with this mod, I can justify the purchase of a Geforce 4.

Originally posted by Federelli
THe best way to improve image quality is getting a v5 :)

I cant disagree with you there. I had a V5 from the day it was released till the day I got my 18" LCD and I needed DVI support. The V5 had the best AA and the best overall image quality. I can complain about my Geforce 3 though. Nvidia has done a great job with their driver updates.

The V5 will always be my favorite card though.

i have been useing a GeForce2 mx 400 and i still run better and smoother than the the V 5 5500 (might be the rampant overclocking and water cooling of it)

Originally posted by Butterball
i have been useing a GeForce2 mx 400 and i still run better and smoother than the the V 5 5500 (might be the rampant overclocking and water cooling of it)

I have to disagree with you. The GF2 MX400 has been and always will be a budget card whereas the V5 5500 was 3DFX's flagship model.

Maybe in speed the MX400 is faster, but the conversation here is about image quality. A watercooled, heavily overclocked MX400 is probably full of visual artifacts. The Voodoo 5 was and still is the king of image quality. I have tested them all and there is nothing that can still touch it.

Originally posted by Supra
I hesitate to try it on my GeForce2 because there never seems to be an after photo(are people afraid to show their soldering skills or lack thereof) and I never use resolutions higher than 1024x768(monitors max).
I'll see what I can do, but I should take the card out of the computer to take a picture of it - and I can't use the USB webcam if the computer is turned off. If you don't use high resolutions (and if your monitor isn't good), it doesn't make that much difference.

Its very interesting how the times have changed. A few years ago, 3dfx declared that framerate was king, while nVidia touted its image quality (the Voodoo 3 could only support 256x256 size textures while the TNT2 could handle much larger). Nowadays the tides have turned leading to the downfall of 3dfx. Hopefully for our sake, Ati can succeed.

Everyone has their favorite brand as well as a specific feature they are looking for. Just look at Matrox card owners. They relish in their 2d quality.

Have the tides really turned? 3dfx doesn't exist anymore and nVidia releases new chips.
By the way, this mod improves (of course) both 2D and 3D quality.

soldering.jpg

I hope you can see something from there..
Bye bye warranty..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back