In need of desperate hardrive help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, here's my problem! When I turned my pc on yesterday, I found that it would not load to the welcome screen before restarting even when I tried safe mode, last known good configuration etc.
This had happened before and my cousin who works with computers [because I'm a total rookie] was able to fix it using a different hard drive and converting my documents over I believe.
So I phoned him and asked him for some help...
However, running off the one of the two hard drives, he was able to see all my old documents from 2005 backwards, but nothing new other than that in the shared folder.
My folder is there, but it says access is denied and when I hover over it says the folder is empty.
I'm not sure exactly what has gone on but if someone could explain what's happening to my computer, it's nearly 3 years old and it's got so much of my coursework, because I'm a student and I couldn't imagine what it would be like if I couldn't retrieve those files.
Thankyou for your help = ]

Take the hard drive where you have all your new files, and place it as a secondary drive on a different station (Set the Jumper to Slave) and see if you can pull your documents.

Put the drive inside another desktop with a known good Windows install. Jumper the drive of that computer as master, and jumper the bad drive as slave. Most of the time you can drag and drop all your old files and folders to the newer, working drive. But do not turn off the computer until you have pulled over the files you need. There are other ways using the utilities in Windows XP which will transfer over all the stuff you need... but if the slave drive is defective it may not be as reliable as the drag and drop method. If you do NOT know the locations of files, get a tech who knows to help you.
You cannot depend on the old drive to continue working very long... so think of it as a once-shot fix... hoping that it will last longer. Count on nothing when you have valuable files.
Then if you have defective files, there are a number of good software programs that will search your drive and rescue everything... costing about $80 to $120... we can recommend several.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back