In need of graphics card advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katana

I am going to receive a graphics card for my birthday, and I do not want to buy the wrong thing.

What I am looking for is a graphics card that will give me the best performance on CS:S, and is compatible with my system.

I do not want to spend very much, and I am really wanting a graphics card with 256mb or so.

I need it to be compatible with both my desktop now, and my future laptop that I will buy in 2008.

Is this asking too much? Does anyone know what I am looking for?

~Thanks
Katana

Hi and welcome to TechSpot!

I can answer one of your questions right now in that you will not be able to find a gcard that you will be able to move from your desktop to a laptop. There are a few laptops that do now come with removable gcards, but they are very expensive.

As for finding you a gcard for your current setup we will need some more info about your system. Do you need a PCI, AGP or PCI-e card? What is your budget? Check my signature for a link to a vid card guide.

nickslick74 took the words out of my mouth ;).

Anyways, there is no card that is interchangeable between a laptop and a desktop. We need budget, too, and your desktop's specs.

Well, my budget is near 200 dollars, and if possible less of course...One thing I was wondering, however, is if the g-card is not interchangeable between a desktop and a laptop, would it be a good idea to get a good graphics card for my desktop and then sell it next year when i buy my laptop, or just wait altogether until I get a laptop? Are used g-cards easy to sell?

As for your question about the PCI, AGP or PCI-e...I am not sure what each one does or what the difference is...Which in your opinion would give me the best fps boost in counterstrike source?

And here are my Desktop specs:

Dimension 2400 Desktop

Processor:
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Memory:
2.79Ghz, 788MB of RAM

Graphics card:
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Operating System:
Windows XP Pro

Video Stress Test (counterstrike source):
27 FPS

At the moment I do not know my motherboard specs, but I will check it out with that program you suggested on your guide when I get home to my own pc. (im on a friend's pc at the moment).

~Thanks
Katana

They are usually fairly easy to sell but after a year they aren't worth anywhere near what you paid.

How much are you planning on spending for a laptop next year? You can get a decent laptop that would be good (not great) for gaming for around $1300.

You also haven't mentioned what kind of slot you have available on your motherboard for a video card upgrade. That could also factor in on what card you could get.

Welcome to Techspot!

Of course the desktop computer, with a good graphics card, should outperform a laptop. And you can always sell any video card on eBay ;)

But we still need your system specs, so I can recommend a good one :)

Katana said:
Well, my budget is near 200 dollars, and if possible less of course...One thing I was wondering, however, is if the g-card is not interchangeable between a desktop and a laptop, would it be a good idea to get a good graphics card for my desktop and then sell it next year when i buy my laptop, or just wait altogether until I get a laptop? Are used g-cards easy to sell?

As for your question about the PCI, AGP or PCI-e...I am not sure what each one does or what the difference is...Which in your opinion would give me the best fps boost in counterstrike source?

And here are my Desktop specs:

Dimension 2400 Desktop

Processor:
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Memory:
2.79Ghz, 788MB of RAM

Graphics card:
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Operating System:
Windows XP Pro

Video Stress Test (counterstrike source):
27 FPS

At the moment I do not know my motherboard specs, but I will check it out with that program you suggested on your guide when I get home to my own pc. (im on a friend's pc at the moment).

~Thanks
Katana
As far as I can tell, you're pretty crippled in the upgrade department with that 2400.

You only have PCI slots open. No AGP or PCI Express x16. The best you can get is a PCI X1300 card.

You'll also need to upgrade your PSU (crappy dell 250W ain't gonna cut it), but I don't know if the 2400 uses a propriety PSU. Someone else will have to tell you.

Well, basically I do not want to put any money into my desktop because it is staying home for my parents while I go to college with my new laptop (next year is when I get my laptop)...so basically I'm looking for the best g-card that will run with my current system for under 200 dollars.

I'm currently going to follow your guide that you mentioned earlier on g-cards because I saw a section where it explained how to find out your motherboard specs since I do not know it. I will post the motherboard specs as soon as I find out.

Also for my laptop I dont want to spend any more than $1400 while still getting about a gig of memory and good gaming hardware in it.

I would either get what Wolfram suggested or an ATI Radeon X1300 PCI video card...not PCIe or PCI-E though, or the video card won't fit.

No problem, if you have any other questions, concerns or problems, just open up another thread or pm us :wave: !

updates?

I have an "Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller"
on my compaq presario s4300cl computer, and it SUCKS EGGS. Don't get it, because it is so bad, half of my games dont install/ run on my computer because of it...

Any one know where i can download updates for it? i want to play "America's Army" on my computer, it is installed, but wont run because of my "Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller". HELP IS APRECIATED!!!!

You can't do anything about game performance, since that onboard card isn't made for games at all. And since you have only PCI slots, the best option for you is the X1300 PCI suggested by cfitzarl to Katana above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back