Inability to install Symantec A/V Enterprise 10.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

speklbellybeagl

I'm sooooo over this and need help from you wise professionals! :)

A week ago, I was checking the virus signature date (in Symantec A/V Enterprise 10.1) on my Win 2003 server - and it was not showing a date what-so-ever. I figured that the network nazi's might scan my server and find that the virus signatures were out-dated or worse, not showing, and get on me for that, so... First, I attempted to do the obvious and re-run a live update, it ran it successfully, but still no date showing. Then had the not-so-brilliant idea of just removing both Live Update and Symantec A/V and reinstalling it... Well, ever since, I have NOT been able to install it at all - no versions! It gets to the point of the installation where it attempts to "start services", throws up the following error: "1920.Service Symantec AntiVirus (Symantec AV) failed to start..."

Ok, here's some other facts:
* I am logged in as the Administrator
* I did a search for that error code on symantec and followed their instructions, still nothing
* I tried removing all instances of Symantec from the Registry, and then retry the installation... did not work
* Other versions of Symantec also do not install, they get to the end, and then do a roll-back of the installation and state that it failed.
* I tried the Symantec/Norton uninstall tool (SymNRT.exe)- upon executing it I get the following error: "This file is not signed so it won't run"?

Norton is seriously crap and if i were you i would use avg antispyware and antivirus instead!!!

Then at least you will have antivirus and antispyware software that will actually protect your system rather than just slowing everything down like norton does!!!!

Norton is by far the absolute worst bit of softwrae you could possibly put on your pc, don't just take my word for it, have a look at this little lot - http://www.computergripes.com/nortonantivirus2004.html

Ok - and thanks for your opinions, but, this is a Department of Defense (Navy) computor. DOD/DON has contract with Symantec/Norton, and the only allowed versions are 10.0 and 10.1. So, my hands are really tied and I have to use it.

If the crap won't reinstall then you don't have a lot of choice in the matter!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back