Infected with ibm00001.exe. The error message is gone but it's not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read some of the sticky threads and scanned my puter w/ the freebies- all that does is tell me I have malware/spyware.
Isn't there a way for me to somehow get rid of this w/o having to download a pricey program? I have Mcafee but it obviously missed this. I wish I could just tell Mcaffee what to look for! I've scanned and it tells me I'm clean.

I'm also getting a box at startup telling me to enter my Network password for MSN networking. Name: Default.
?? Did the cableguy screw something up or is this connected with ibm?

I did the HKEY_LM and followed it down to name and data but the only things there were name: default and data: value not set. I've tried to follow other ideas but I am not a computer programmer and some of the instructions are hard to follow. I hope someone will take pity and offer me a bit of help! :blush:

When I hir Run, msconfig and look at what's there, it's still listed as Shell:..............ibm.00001.exe where I guess it should say explorer.exe. I'm not able to get in there.

I apologize for being ignorant but I need to get rid of this and everyone here seems so knowledgable- it's kept us from getting dsl. The cable guy said to call him back once we're rid of this.

Thanks for any help offered.

Laura

there are many anti-trojan horse/spyware/adware programs that are free.

Bear in mind these programs will NOT remove rootkits. (a particularly nasty kind of trojan.) You'll need to manually remove this yourself.

When using these programs turn OFF system restore after booting in SAFE mode.

programs to use are ad-aware, sptbot search and destroy, ewido, and micro$oft anti spyware. All of these can be downloaded for free.

You're infected with the Torpig-E virus/trojan aka anserin trojan. It steals information and tampers with your windows files, decreases security, and installs into the system registry.

Norton Removal:
removal instructions

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

1. Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
2. Update the virus definitions.
3. Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Trojan.Anserin.
4. Delete the value that was added to the registry.

For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. To disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP)
If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:

* "How to disable or enable Windows Me System Restore"
* "How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore"

Note: When you are completely finished with the removal procedure and are satisfied that the threat has been removed, re-enable System Restore by following the instructions in the aforementioned documents.

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder," Article ID: Q263455.

2. To update the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:

* Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
* Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted daily. You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).

The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.

3. To scan for and delete the infected files

1. Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
* For Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
* For Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise products: Read the document, "How to verify that a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan all files."
2. Run a full system scan.
3. If any files are detected as infected with Trojan.Anserin, click Delete.

Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete an infected file, Windows may be using the file. To fix this, run the scan in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode." Once you have restarted in Safe mode, run the scan again.

After the files are deleted, restart the computer in Normal mode and proceed with section 4.

4. To delete the value from the registry
Important: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified subkeys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry," for instructions.

1. Click Start > Run.
2. Type regedit

Then click OK.

3. Navigate to the subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

4. In the right pane, set the value:

"Shell" = "Explorer.exe"

5. Navigate to the subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

6. In the right pane, delete the value:

"Shell" = ""C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm[random 5 digit number].exe""

7. Exit the Registry Editor.

----------------
or

if you use sophos anti-virus:

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojtorpige.html

Tedster-

Thanks so much for all the information! It'll take me a while to figure it out but I'm going to do my best.

I use Mcaffee and it says I'm clean. I also run free Adaware. It basically found cookies last time and not much else. I just quarantined and then it deleted. Any idea why my virus scan and adaware aren't picking this up? Also, should I still disable System Restore if I'm running W98SE?

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond- I really appreciate it.

I'll let you know how I fare!

Laura

you need to use more than one anti-trojan/spyware program. Not a single program will detect all trojans. Bear in mind some trojans are rootkits ( a particularly nasty trojan that hides their identity from system files) - you will need to manually REMOVE all references to it by hand. Also before attempting any kind of removal, boot in safe mode and turn off system restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back