Info and opinions on new 64bit processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroZ28c

I've been hearing that the new windows system will run on 64 bit processors since its going to be a 64 bit program. Will it also run on the old 32 bit systems or are we all going to have to upgrade in the near future? I ask this cause I just built a new system with a 3.0E GHz P4 system and I usually dont upgrade for 3-4 years. My last system was a 750MHz athlon! I try to beat the dead horse, hehe. Anyway, was just curious about what you all think may be the benefits and all that about the upcoming change.

IMO, 64-bit computing is NOT ready.

I'm aware of 64-bit Linux and the upcoming Windows. What about the rest of software? They're still mostly 32-bit and some 16-bit. Even in 32-bit Windows, the computer is mostly waiting for the user's input and idling. Has anyone here tried to compile Gentoo from stage 1 tarballs? Takes days if not weeks. Who plays 3d FPS 24/7? Yeah, one guy did that in a Korean net cafe and died of exhaustion after 2-3 days.

I'm very satisfied with my xp 2500+. Your P4 is pretty good. The things you might want to upgrade would be 3D accelerator, RAM, HD with 16mb cache. Or maybe your chair. :) I've seen so many photos of pc's and one had a Alienware and a crappy chair.

64 bit was introduced by intel's old Itanium line in 1999 or so, to allow a cpu to address more RAM than thier 32 bit predecessors. the AMD 64 is not so great, not at all.

Thanks for the responses. I am writing this on my new system today!! SOOOO much faster than my old girl. She served me well.... BTW My chair is very comfortable! Has to be since I spend so much time here. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back