Information on the future of DDR (Wot no DDRII?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

From www.ami2.com/shownews.asp?num=994 :
Officially there isn't going to be any DDR-II moniker. The industry has settled on labeling each successive new version of DDR by the higher frequency it represents -- DDR333, DDR-400, DDR-566, DDR-600, DDR-800 and on up the speed ladder. Within each speed grade, several feature options may exist -- but essentially just as various features can be included or not on existing DDR devices.

The on-chip impedance control and termination will become just another option available on the high speed DDR grades, probably coming in a DDR600 and above.

I previously posted in the CPU, Chipset forum that Aceshardware had reviewed P4 and DDR combo and expressed worries about the future of DDR memory as "the DDR SDRAM technology is clearly reaching it's signal integrity limits.".
With DDR ram set to go as far as 600DDR before any necessary amendments to the existing ram specifications surely this will provide a great enough memory bandwidth for even the new processors set to come out towards the end of the year (AMD Hammer et al).

Phew! This is good news. I kinda panicked when I read your other post about DDR reaching its signal integrity limits.

Thanks for the info BTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back