infostealer.gampass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, my dad's laptop's just started getting this norton antivirus notification of a virus called infostealer.gampass. I am currently on step 3 of the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions, waiting for the online virus scanner to finish. My question is, is it safe for the infected laptop to be connected to the internet the other computers in our home share? Currently it's connected to an open network, but the connection isn't very stable. The laptop is used mostly used just for email/work documents etc, no online banking or anything.

Also, is there any good information about the common ways viruses are extracted and how to differentiate/analyze what types they are and what they do? (without getting too technical)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I don`t recommend the laptop be connected to the network, until it is clean.

Once we know exactly which infections are on the laptop, a simple Google search will give you all the details of the infections themselves and how they get on the machine.

Once you`ve completed the instructions, do the following.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Equiether only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back