Insiders say Jony Ive felt Apple lost focus on what made it successful (updated)

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: It was no secret that Jony Ive and Steve Jobs shared a passion for design. This passion bonded them, and together, they transformed Apple from a floundering computer manufacturer to a tech titan. According to a recent WSJ report, Job's death may have had more to do with Ive's departure from the company than his desire to be his own boss.

Update: 7/1/19: Apple CEO Tim Cook responded to The Wall Street Journal's claims on Jony Ive's departure in a harsh statement issued through NBC News calling the story "absurd."

"The story is absurd. A lot of the reporting, and certainly the conclusions, just don't match with reality. At a base level, it shows a lack of understanding about how the design team works and how Apple works. It distorts relationships, decisions and events to the point that we just don’t recognize the company it claims to describe. The design team is phenomenally talented. As Jony has said, they’re stronger than ever, and I have complete confidence that they will thrive under Jeff, Evans and Alan’s leadership. We know the truth, and we know the incredible things they’re capable of doing. The projects they’re working on will blow you away."

WSJ Senior Vice President Of Communications Colleen Schwartz issued a followup statement saying that the Journal stands behind its reporting.

Last week Apple announced that 30-year veteran Jony Ive was leaving the company to start a design firm called LoveFrom. While both parties said the split was amicable and that Apple would continue working with Ive’s new company as a third-party designer, the exec’s departure had been a long time coming due to the change in corporate culture after Steve Jobs’ passing.

Ive had resisted several recruitment attempts by Apple in the early 1990s. He was formerly working at Tangerine trying to climb the corporate ladder. After finally joining the company, Ive almost quit on several occasions due to the market struggles Apple was going through at the time.

When Steve Jobs returned to Apple in 1996, he took Ive aside and told him they were going to take the company in a different direction, and that is precisely what they did. Jobs’ focus on Ive’s passion, that being innovative design, carried the company to success after success.

"Mr. Ive grew frustrated as Apple's board became increasingly populated by directors with backgrounds in finance and operations rather than technology or other areas of the company's core business."

Insiders told the Wall Street Journal that after Tim Cook replaced Jobs as CEO, corporate culture changed from one focused on design to one that was more concerned with operations.

This lack of cohesion between Cook and Ive led the design chief to stay away from the Cupertino offices more and more. Ive was spending a lot of time in San Francisco where he lived. He would even hold design meetings at his home or hotels in the Bay Area instead of at the headquarters.

As an example of the many ways that Cook and Ive did not see eye-to-eye, take the Apple Watch. Ive came up with the Apple Watch as he was interested in miniaturizing the iPhone’s technology into a wearable. Cook and members of the board of directors were skeptical that “a device so small could ever have a killer app that would compel people to buy it,” but ultimately approved it.

Ive clashed with Cook and other executives on how to position the watch; was it an iPhone peripheral or a fashion accessory? The first-generation Apple Watch only sold 10 million units, less than a quarter of what Apple had projected. There were also thousands of $17,000 gold versions, designed in cooperation with luxury goods manufacturer Hermès, that went unsold.

It was a clear statement from the Apple community and market that what people wanted was a Dick Tracy watch, not a fashion piece. It only took another three iterations for Apple to figure this out and add cellular connectivity to the wearable.

Ive grew increasingly dispirited that Cook showed little interest in the design process as Jobs had. He also didn’t like the fact the board was filled with members with no experience in electronics.

“Mr. Ive grew frustrated as Apple's board became increasingly populated by directors with backgrounds in finance and operations rather than technology or other areas of the company's core business,” said those close to him.

Now that he has his own firm that Apple has contracted to work with, Ive will not have to deal with the inter-office politics that drove him away in the first place. However, it also ensures that Apple’s focus on maintaining profit margins over design innovation remains fixed. Apple will continue “leveraging past hardware success to sell software and services.”

Permalink to story.

Good. Maybe Apple can go back to making stuff that actually works and not just stuff that looks pretty. For instance, the MacBook with the ultra-thin design that also has a keyboard where if even a small speck of dust gets under a key the keyboard needs to be replaced. And who's the one who's been paying for the replacements? Apple.

Jony, you outlived your usefulness and your obsession for "thin for the sake of thin" is now costing Apple serious amounts of cash. Goodbye Jony, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Maybe Tim can get the designs back into a realm of being durable thus not having to have a recall every time they find a design problem all because Jony has a fetish for thin crap.

So, what Jobs said in that interview is happening right there in his company. Apple is like Pepsi now.

Good. Maybe Apple can go back to making stuff that actually works and not just stuff that looks pretty. For instance, the MacBook with the ultra-thin design that also has a keyboard where if even a small speck of dust gets under a key the keyboard needs to be replaced. And who's the one who's been paying for the replacements? Apple.

Jony, you outlived your usefulness and your obsession for "thin for the sake of thin" is now costing Apple serious amounts of cash. Goodbye Jony, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Maybe Tim can get the designs back into a realm of being durable thus not having to have a recall every time they find a design problem all because Jony has a fetish for thin crap.
1. Apple already fixed it and issued a free repair for those macs with 1st gen butterfly keyboards!

2. I've read his exclusive interview in the Financial Times, it really felt like he is frustrated, that's why he couldn't do his job very well, I can only assume that you are a human too and do mistakes when frustrated/depressed, like everyone else. In Ive's case, it was a bit more on the plate, hundreds of millions, so it is easier to spot a mistake and blame one person, instead of a team. Also internal testing never the same.

3. Tim Cook is financial based, not technology like Jobs was or I've is. That's basically why we see shift in designs and price hike in Apple products, if some miracle would happen and the board of directors would be replaced by tech driven persons, Apple devices will drop like 30% of it's price, because Apple want to compete not steal your money, and show that even if it's bit more expensive (not like twice as much) and packs even more than it's competitors.
If you check out Apple's yearly money growth, you can clearly see that they turned from tech to money, more or less.
They did great things, like every Apple store only using renewable energy source now (yes, every official Apple store https://www.apple.com/uk/newsroom/2...ally-powered-by-100-percent-renewable-energy/ )

1. Apple already fixed it and issued a free repair for those macs with 1st gen butterfly keyboards!
Yes, I understand that but who foot the bill for those repairs? Oh yeah... Apple did. When you have to replace a keyboard and not just the keyboard but the whole top cover of the notebook things can get really really costly. Those "thin for the sake of thin" designs are biting Apple in their rear end in terms of warranty costs along with recalls costs.

And besides, the keyboard issue hasn't really been fixed. Recent articles have said that some people are still having issues with them despite the changes to the new keyboards. The only way to really fix the keyboards is to go back to the tried and true scissor switch mechanism that's been used for decades. Don't fix what isn't broken!!! Sure, it may not be thin or sexy but it works and that's all that should matter. A keyboard that doesn't work after six months is useless and only serves to costs Apple money in having to replace them.

2. I've read his exclusive interview in the Financial Times, it really felt like he is frustrated, that's why he couldn't do his job very well, I can only assume that you are a human too and do mistakes when frustrated/depressed, like everyone else. In Ive's case, it was a bit more on the plate, hundreds of millions, so it is easier to spot a mistake and blame one person, instead of a team. Also internal testing never the same.
Jony has always had a thing for "thin" and his whole "thin for the sake of thin" is costing Apple money. When your mistakes are costing the company you're working at a lot of money it's not surprising to see that Apple is frustrated with Jony.

3. Tim Cook is financial based, not technology like Jobs was or I've is. That's basically why we see shift in designs and price hike in Apple
Could it possibly be because a lot of the "thin for the sake of thin" designs have cost Apple a boatload of money? I'm sure the stock holders aren't happy at all, if I was an Apple stock holder I sure as heck wouldn't be. I'd be voting to make whoever is responsible for the stupid designs to be shown the door and rightfully so.

This whole letter from Jony is to cover up for the real reason why Jony is gone, he was fired; plain and simple. And if I was an Apple shareholder I would be pleased with the decision.

Last edited:
"Insiders told the Wall Street Journal that after Tim Cook replaced Jobs as CEO, corporate culture changed from one focused on design to one that was more concerned with operations."

He meant to say the focus changed from design to greed!

Back