Install sound card and lose internet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope someone can answer this one:

I've just bought a Trust 511 Expert Digital cheapy sound card.

I've installed in, and then put on the only drivers available. The sound then works no problem.

However, I then lose my internet.

I have a linksys lan card (standard 10/100) - I've tried moving them both to different PCI slots (even though there is no IRQ conflict in WindowsXP).

Exactly the same thing happens.

If I leave my sound card in and not install any drivers - then the internet works fine - but the second I install the sound drivers, I lose my internet.

What gives?? There is only one set of drivers available to download so I have the latest ones.

Sounds like some kind of conflict to me. Check the Device Manager for any !'s or ?'s.

I had a problem something like that years ago when my mouse and modem were conflicting. As soon as I went on the Internet my mouse would not longer work.

Already checked - there is nothing... no !'s or ?'s

Think I'm gonna get on to linksys or trust and ask them.

It's werid. Everything's perfect, until I install my sound card drivers. Then internet disappears. And there still shows no conflict in device manager. Everything shows fine.

I guess it doesn't show any conflicts because you're using ACPI, which is "designed" so that PCI devices use the same IRQ. It's not unusual for this kind of things to happen. If you can't connect to Internet, can you ping yourself (ie. 127.0.0.1)?

You're right - I can't ping myself.... but then I don't understand.

Device Manager shows no conflicts.... and when I check IRQ settings, they are not on the same one.... what gives??

I can't find a way to change IRQ either, as the boxes are both greyed out. Tried pre-defining them in BIOS too, and windows just takes them back over.

To change IRQ settings, uncheck the "Use Automatic Settings" box, this will allow you access to the boxes that have been grey out before.

I can't 'cause it's *all* greyed out.

... I gave up and took it back anyways.... it was only a cheap thing to begin with.

...nest time - I'll pay a bit more and get one that I can hard-configure with jumpers.

This could be a well learnt lesson...avoid cheap hardware, they can a pain in the arse! Anyway I m sure you can get a better one, there are still many soundcars out there with reasonable price without sacrificing performance and quailty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back