Install winXP w/o CDROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've got an old sony vaio fxa-36(really old). I want to reformat and reinstall a fresh copy of winxp, but one problem --> the cd rom died a few years ago. I'm trying to find a way of performing the installation. I have a firewire CDROM but the bios doesn't allow you to boot from firewire. No luck trying to boot from the dead cd rom.

I had two ideas of going about it... find a driver that i can put on a boot disk that will allow me to access the firewire cd rom from dos and copy over the cab files to install. Create second partition and copy over the install cd while still in windows, make the 2nd partition bootable, and install from there. I'm not entirely sure if that will work, but it was an idea.

I'd appreciate any other ideas, or if you know of a driver that will mount the firewire cdrom in dos.

Thanks
-chris

No need to go that complicated..

The XP installation folder has a DOS executable in it so if you can get DOS drivers for that FW CD-ROM then you just have to boot into DOS and run the setup program off the CD-ROM.

No no. There is a DOS executable that lets you install Windows XP. You will have to find the FireWire drivers somewhere else..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back