Installed Asus a7n8x = no lan/ethernet... Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed an Asus a7n8x deluxed motherboard. My old motherboard and processor died, so I picked up this motherboard for cheap and am using an old 600mhz Duron. Everything is fine except one thing... can't get online (I'm on my girlfriend's PC right now). I got the nVidia nForce drivers, updated to service pack 4 (I'm running win2k), installed directx 9.0c... still nothing. There is a yellow led light where the cat5 is connected. I run ipconfig and get the following:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration:

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . : dirk-diggler
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffx . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2
Physical Address . . . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-18-FC-3F-A1
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address . . : Yes
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . . . :

It looks to me like theres a lot of missing info... no Primary DS Suffix, no Default Gateway, no DNS Servers... I'm definitely pretty networking illiterate, so if this looks familiar to anyone please give me some step-by-step instructions on what to do. I've searched all over the net reading forums about ethernet problems on the a7n8x's, but nothing answers my problem.

Thanks!

i assume its a broadband/adsl connection you want to go to..

sorry i'm not realy familiar with win2k but my instructions should be close to the function you want etc...

if you can find the network wizard in win2k then run it, and it will set up nicely by itself (theoreticaly)

or

if you have one of those installer cds taht came with your ISP/modem etc maybe run that..

otherwise, goto [control panel>Network connections]
find the adaptor that connects to the modem and [(rightclick)>properties>Internet Protocols (tcp/ip)>properties]
check that its on automaticaly get IP address etc

next step is to find out how to configure the connection to your ISP like login etc..

hope this helps

I assume you are trying to connect to a router.
If so, try setting your IP address to something like 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask must be 255.255.255.0, but windows will put that in the box when you click in it.
When I got my new router, i just had to stuff around with it for a few hours to get it to work.
Good Luck! :)

Oh yeh i forgot. If you have internet explorer, go to Tools>Internet options>connections, and click setup. Select 'Set up a home or small office network'. It will redirect you to the network setup wizard. In that, select 'other', then the top one, 'The computer connects to the internet directly or through a network hub....'. then keep going through until you've finished that. it might not work but it is worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back