Installed Roxio CD&DVD software, computer is now dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new to the board.

Yesterday I installed Roxio CD & DVD backup software. All was fine, installation went well, I burned a CD. The following day I went to turn on the computer and it would not start. I opened the computer and noticed there is a GREEN light that stays on, which looks like it's on the motherboard. Other than that it is completely dead. Seems a coincidence that as soon as I install this software it dies.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thank you!!!

It is possible that you have a faulty harddrive, and when you installed more megs (of data within your Operating system) to your drive it hit the bad spot (which had Not been marked as bad previously) on your drive, and therefore failed.

Start by removing the harddrive inside from the motherboard (hardware experience required) and then turn on again
There will be no Windows, but we just want to confirm it turns on

You may want to reseat the ram cards too.

When you start the computer, are there any beeps? These indicate error codes and can be looked up.

When you press the power button, do your CPU and case fans power up? If not, this usually points to either the CPU, motherboard, or PSU being bad. In my general experience, this usually points to CPU, but this really is a toss up.

Does anything ever appear on the screen? If so, what?

And btw, welcome to Techspot!

It is possible that you have a faulty harddrive, and when you installed more megs to your drive it hit the bad spot on your drive, and therefore failed.
no way the hard drive firmware would not and the OS would not write to bad sectors they are marked as bad and locked
and I don't get (installed)
if you don't hear a fan start and don't here post beeps
yes remove all drive from power side make sure machine is unplugged from wall
if it turns on it could be bad psu or one of the drives
plug the optical drive in first and see if it boots up to bios

My guess is bad PSU S##! happens
I don't like Roxio ,but it will not burn out something,now if it was a illegal copy there could be a bios virus in it OOCH
if the bios was not set for protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back