Installing a floppy drive causes the power supply to fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.

My Pc is a HP dc7100 Series. The workstation didn't come with a floppy drive installed, so i took it upon myself to install one.

Anyways i plugged in an OLD floppy drive, connected the ribbon cable and connected the power to the floppy.

And tried to boot..... The LED lights flicker, and the CPU and power supply fans run for about 2 seconds, then everything shuts down. After disconnecting the floppy totally the same thing happens.

I swapped out the power supply, and got my system running again.. I tried the "faulty" power supply on another pc and it gives the same results..

Question is how did i manage to kill the power supply? It shouldn't have been from installing the floppy...

Anyways, comments/ideas are welcome..

Just curious as to what the hell i did to cause this.. :blackeye:

I have seen defective floppy drives cause all kinds of problem including shorting out a power supply. that is one of the reasons I dont install any floppy drives. one minute they may be working fine and the next they go belly up.

I had a PSU once that had the wires wrong way around in the mini power plug from the factory..

Any component that is bad can fry pieces of your computer, not only floppy drives. I suggest you get another FD and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back