Installing a Floppy Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

top_model_guy

I just got my new computer yesterday--a Dell E521--and I ordered it without a floppy drive intentionally since I could just take the one from my old computer. However I hooked it up and the first time the computer wouldn't even start and now it causes start up problems, even though the light for the drive doesn't even come on. Can you tell me how to install the drive and where to plug up each wire or whatever is needed?

Thank You

I've done this multiple times and still nothing:mad: ! I tried adding new hardware and I don't see it even after searching.

This is only a suggestion, but maybe the floppy ribbon cable is bad. Try another floppy cable and see how it goes.

Also, check in your bios to see if the fdd is enabled.

Regards Howard :)

ALWAYS have a floppy drive with a computer. They are needed for legacy purposes like BIOS updating.
A floppy drive is very easy to install. Plug in the cable to the floppy connection on the motherboard and plug the other end into the floppy drive. That's it. If you have the cable the wrong way, the floppy light will stay on all the time. You alwso need to plug in the power cable to the floppy. It only goes one way.

I knew I was doing everything right; I agree putting in floppy drive is easy (I've done the same thing with Cd burners and stuff), but not if your computer has the floppy drive set up for external USB.
Thanks Howard for the link it helped once I could find the setup, now everything is up and running.

Take a look HERE for floppy drive installation instructions.

Thanks howard for the link, i'll give it to my friends to show them how easy it is to build a computer so they can stop asking me to do it ;)

My dell is always fun it changes the Bios itself into thinking in has a floppy drive when it doesnt then when I turn the computer on it comes up floppy drive faliure and I;m like I dont even have a floppy drive!

That is strange.

Do you have any problems with the systems date and time as well? If so, replacing the cmos battery should solve it.

Nope nothing is wrong with the time and date amd the computer is only 4-5 months old cmos batteries ususaly last 5 years but I had some go quicker and others longer than 5 but yeah its strange but it hasent done it in awhile sort of strange, I didnt get the floppy drive when I ordered the system either because I wouldnt use it anyways

I think having a floppy drive is very useful for things like flashing bios/Sata drivers/Memtest/Hard drive diagnostics etc. Considering how cheap a floppy drive is, I wouldn`t like to be without one myself, even though it doesn`t get used very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back