Installing a mother board

Status
Not open for further replies.

duh-huh-wha?

i just found out that my mother board cant be upgraded with a processor faster than 2.1 so i want to install a new mother and then get a faster processor. the thing is i have never built a computer and i dont really know what im getting myself into when installing a new mother board. i just want a mb that i can use all my old parts and upgrade my processor.

specs:
AMD 2400+ @ 2.0
512 DDR ram pc2100
radeon 9600 vid card
80 gb hard drive
AM37L MB
for more info http://www.emachines.com/support/support_info.html?prodName=T2482

i was thinking about getiing a KT600 and then a amd xp 3000+ mb since as far as i can tell it is compatible with all the stuff i have now

Theres a good chance that your Restore discs wont work with the new motherboard and when using XP you usually cant replace a motherboard without doing a clean install of Windows. The old motherboard drivers will keep Windows from loading or make the computer unstable. Replacing a board isnt that hard. Just make notes of where everything goes. The first time I did it I marked every cable with tape. I replaced a board in an eMachine. Physically it worked fine except the front panel connector was proprietary and I couldnt connect it to the new motherboard.

duh

Replacing your motherboard isnt as hard some make it out to be.
But...a few things to remember.....
Your video board is AGP....most new motherboards dont have agp sockets.
Your old cpu is socket A.....most new motherboards dont have that socket.
You may be able to use your old ram chips.....
So I would suggest you try to sell what you have and invest your money into a half decent mo bo.....and make sure it has a socket that you can use X2 or better cpus. Dual core and higher is the only way to go. You may also have to change your powersupply if you go with dual core....etc..etc..
Dual core Intels are less than 80.00 and you can get a good mobo for about the same price...
You will be ok with your hd but I would suggest at least a 250 gig.
If you have to buy memory chips...dont settle for less that 1-2 gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back