Installing a New Sound Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swappo

Hello, friends.

I've searched the forum and found how to do this, but before I go poking around inside my computer I want to make sure I have it straight.

My current sound card is Realtek HD Audio, which I've been told is an onboard card (bare with me, this is not my forte). So I reboot the computer, tapping delete to get into BIOS and look for the onboard sound option and disable it, save the settings and boot the computer. Then disable the onboard audio in the control panel and uninstall the onboard drivers.

Then install the new card, boot to Windows, install the drivers from the CD and boot again.

Correct?

Will the PCI slot be marked "PCI"? And what about the jacks that are already there? What happens to those?

You are on target.
You can also disable the old driver by going to
Start->Settings->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager where you will be able to scroll down to a long list of related sound drivers.
The PCI slots are nearly always white. There are also sometimes PCI-Express slots that are colored, and sometimes AGP slots which are brown or beige. They are on the side of the motherboard next to where there are removable tabs you take out. One end of the sound card then sticks out that hole, and you put the screw that was used into the top of the sound card to fasten it securely to the computer.
Wear rubber gloves or plastic bags if you are as true noob. YOu don't want to destroy the card or a chip with static electricity from your hands or other parts.

You are on target.
You can also disable the old driver by going to
Start->Settings->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager where you will be able to scroll down to a long list of related sound drivers.
The PCI slots are nearly always white. There are also sometimes PCI-Express slots that are colored, and sometimes AGP slots which are brown or beige. They are on the side of the motherboard next to where there are removable tabs you take out. One end of the sound card then sticks out that hole, and you put the screw that was used into the top of the sound card to fasten it securely to the computer.
Wear rubber gloves or plastic bags if you are as true noob. You probably do not want to destroy the card or a chip or the motherboard with static electricity from your hands or other parts.
But it is relatively safe, and easily done. Use all the obvious safety moves such as unplugging the computer from electrical outlets.
Be patient. Nothing ever works perfectly the first time...

Thanks for the reply.

I can simply go to the Device Manager, find Realtek, go to the "Driver" tab and choose "Uninstall"? It says that's an Advanced function. Does that mean fools like me shouldn't mess with it? If I did it that way would I not have to go into BIOS at all?

Also, are latex gloves okay?

Okay, I can't find Realtek in the BIOS. I went into Device Manager and found Realtek, uninstalled the driver, then went into the control panel and uninstalled the driver update. I went into BIOS to disable the onboard sound and I can't find it where it is. I found an Audio Controller in the Integrated Peripherals. Is that it?

Depending on what motherboard you have and bios, it may (shoud be) in the integrated peripherals. As for going into into the control panel and disabling the onboard sound, you shouldn't have to if you've disabled it in the bios. You should uninstall the drivers for the Realtek audio since this may cause a conflict with the drivers for the PCI sound card. Once you install the card and then install the software that came with the card, the software installation program will advise you that to complete installation, Windows will have to be restarted. It will also automatically (in most cases) prompt you to click on the "Reboot Windows Now", so it shouldn't be a problem.
Raybay is correct in as much as you need to ground yourself to prevent static electricity discharge, but another way that I use (and is pretty much foolproof) is to touch the back grille (cover) up at the airvent for the power supply with one hand while you have the cover off and install the card. Then you can insert the retaining screw and place the sidecover back on the case.
As for the speaker connections, you will now plug them into the back of the card. They're usually color coded, but check the soundcard's manual so you get them correct. You no longer will use the motherboard's integrated jacks.
Good luck.

Got it installed and working, except for the headphones. Don't know why those don't work.

EDIT: They work, but only in the same jack that the speakers occupy, which is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back