Installing car alarm????

poertner_1274

I was wondering if anyone has any experience installing a car alarm? I am planning on getting one that has the following features, which means there are a lot of wires to hook up......Was wondering if anyone has done this on their own, and how hard it would be?

Features
2-3 Channel Multi-Function Security System with Remote Start Modeul Built-In.
Built-In Start Relays,Accessories,Ignition,Starter Outputs.
Tach-Less System.
Starts Diesel Too.
Code Hopping & Learning, Plug-In System.
Built-In Dual Zone Shock Sensor with "SHOCK TECH" Technology, Adjustable Via Remotes.
Warn-Away Feature, Deletable Via Remotes Starter Diable Output.
Door Locks & Parking lights Built-In Relays.
Smart Passive/Active Adjustable.
Passive Lock/Unlock Adjustable Via Remotes Chirp Mute & Panic Via Remotes.
Multi-Tone Loud Siren.
Plug-In, Super Bright Red LED Light, Plug-In, Multi-Function Valet Switch.
4-Door Trigger In-Puts.
Memory & Auto Zone, By Pass & recover.
Full Keyless Entry in Valet Mode.
Ignition Triggered Doorlocks with Open Door Auto Cancel.
Smart Channel-2 Output, Features Auto Disarm. Remote trunk release option.
Hyper Range Receiver Design. More Range Than Ever! Advanced Fault Tolerant Outputs. Every transistor Is Protected.
Multiplexed PATS, VATS and Factor Alarm Disarm Outputs.
Smart Passive Locking Feature. The system will never lock your keys in the car.
MemoMax(TM) Feature Remembers All Settings and States oOf The System On Power-up, the system initiates in the last state it was before last power-down.
Starer Disable Relay Built-In Up to 100Amps. Dome Light Supervision.
Long Range receiver
UP TO 2000 FEET
3rd Channel Gives 60Amps of Output.
Full Security During Remote Run Can be Armed While Running & Can Be Started While Armed.
Retries Automatically Up-to 4 Times If The Engine Fails to Starts.
Smart Design (Stable, Small & Reliable) For Fast Installation.
Safety Features
Hood Open Safety Switch - prevents the engine from starting while the hood is open.
Brake Pedal Disable - works like a security system to prevent unauthorized starting and theft.
Anti-Theft Feature - protects your vehicle by automatically shutting the engine down if it is tampered with.

YOO!

I have installed many alarms (50+)

Do your self a favor, and try to obtain the factory wiring diagram for your vehicle if you can, it will make it a breeze.

Otherwise, have fun, because it is NOT an easy task if your not familiar with the particular vehicles wiring.

Paul

I suppose if you want to learn where everything is hooked up and be able to redo the installation again. Otherwise, I would pay for someone who installs Alarms for a living.

Yeah, I am just trying to save some money. I was hoping it wouldn't be too hard, but I did kind of figure it was a tough task. We'll see what happens....Also would you recommend a battery backup? If I get a regular system installed and then get a battery backup from somewhere else, can I install that myself? Thanks for your help thus far.

I wouldn't do that

Crazyace is right on the money. If you don't have the wiring diagram a system as sophisticated as what you described is challenging even for someone experienced.
You could probably install parts of the system yourself but you should talk to the shop and make sure it won't void your warranty on their work. Based on my experience with an after-market alarm install, be prepared to use the warranty! I went back at least 5 times before it was working correctly; it worked for a year, maybe.

Well, I have installed quite a few alarm systems and you can do it without a diagram if you know your way around a car's electrical system. You can improvise when you can't locate certain things. I do want to stress though that you would need to know your way around the car to do it that way because you need to know what wire has voltage on it when. Knowing your way around the car is very important for another reason, you are going to be drilling quite a few holes and mounting things in places that the average person may not even know exists.
If you are at all uncomfortable with that, I would recommend you get a professional to install it for you. It would be well worth the money to have it done right rather than drilling a hole in the wrong place or getting a wire connected to the wrong place.

Yes I feel I could do it myself, but I would rather have it done professionally, I think, to save me the hastle of installing it, as well as the assurance that it will be done correctly.

Thank you all for your input though.

What kind of car do you have? I suggest you go to a forum specially for your car, since i have a maxima it is www.maxima.org :) They will know alot more about this than we do, I'm sure.

You got a 2000 foot range on a pager? Can you advise of brand and model? I am trying to get 1000 in urban setting and almost every installer says it can't be done. Thanks, Tom

In serious need of direction

Hey everyone!

I'm in desperate need of help with and Alarm System that I kind of inherited. I have been trying to get installation guides or any kind of schematic for this thing for weeks and I can't find anything.

The Alarm/Anti HiJack unit is an MSI 4071 VC unit (remote control, Ultrasound Alarm) and the immobiliser is an MSI 4074 - 2 Circuit unit manufactured for the 4070/71 Alarm system.

Does anyone know where I can get more info on this kit. I know the thing works as it came out of its previous owner's car, but it looks like the guys that took it out did a piss poor job of it. Unfortunately here in Zimbabwe what passes as Alarm system PROs are scary in what they know about their jobs, so asking them is a waste of time.....

Please someone, anyone give me some direction!!!!!!!!

Back