Installing Game Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomrice32

System: Windows XP Home with SP2 & Updates

I've just bought a "GAMEWARE PC Controller" from GAME. I presume this is just a generic one. It is USB, has 2 analog sticks, 4 buttons on front and 4 on back (like a PS2 controller), a D-Pad, Turbo, Clear, Select & Start buttons.

The instruction manual says first to plug it in, and then let windows detect it and install it as a "USB Human Interface Device" (in the New Hardware Found Wizard). I've done this, and it does detect it as one. However, when it asks to connect to windows update to install the driver, if I connect - it just keeps playing the animation and does nothing, and eventually gives up and asks me to insert my windows disc. If I don't allow it, it just asks me to insert the disc straight away to install this device.

"Please insert the compact disc labelled "Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM" etc...

The problem is, it should install it without the Windows disc, and I don't have a windows disc! I never got one with the computer. Why do manufacturers not give out the discs anymore, it's crazy. I've needed it so many times in the past and don't have access to one.

Anyway... How can I install this without the Windows XP disc!? :S I have a software disc with the controller, which installs perfectly fine, but I don't think it's a driver. It is just a SETUP.exe file, and does not install any drivers. The instruction guide says to install that AFTER windows has detected and installed the driver. So I'm stuck on step 1 and can't use it.

Any help appreciated thank you! I've been searching for a solution for hours and found nothing :\

I've got hold of a Windows XP disc and used that now. Now my controller works fine! :D Thanks anyway :)

Problem Solved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back