Installing Multiple OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin997

hello,

i recently built a computer out of my spare computer parts, and installed windows 98 (to run older games).

I also have the windows 2000 pro disk and would wike to install windows 2000 as well.

any tips on how to install 2 operating systems on 1 pc, as i am not 100% .sure

any helpful posts welcome

i am not sure about windows 2k and 98.
but afaik, its should work perfectly with either dual-boot or virtual pc*.

for more info, refer to this link=
http://lifehacker.com/software/top/...lboot-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-179906.php
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software/windows/dual/index.html

for VPC 2007,
Host operating system: Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition, Windows XP Professional, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

not sure about 2004 though...

but personally i suggest dual-boot... :)

You have made the right start - first always install the older OS and make sure it is running reliably first.
Then reboot the system from the second OS install Cd and follow the options through the various menu items to the point where you are given the option to replace the OS - select and the install routine will offer to install the second OS - follow instructions - it is really no big deal!

here's the scoop.

Win98 REQUIRES a boot from C:

System since then can be booted anywhere :)

Thirdly, the MBR of the first system will get modified by the subsequent installs
to allow a choice of which system to actually boot. If one of the installs is
a Linux, then a boot manager like LILO or the more current GRUB will be installed
and it will 'inherit' the existing options in the MBR.

(hint: the GRUB config file will usually be in the /root directory of the Linux partition.
By all means, COPY it to EVERY Win/* partition so that you can always have access to control grub if you ever delete Linux.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back