Installing Network Printer on Multiple Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little fustrated now after spending a few hours trying to figure out a way to do this. I have a lan setup so more than 16 computers can print off this network printer, but my problem is that only the printer installs on Adminstrator and not the other accounts. I do not feel like installing the printer again on each account over and over again. I have at least 6 accounts on each computer and there must be an easier way to have all the accounts have the printer set up. Any suggestions?

That network printer should have an install utility to install on any PC, regardless of what accounts are there.
Isn't there an option during install, that asks for installation for THIS user or for ALL users?
Check the website of the printer manufacturer. There's no point producing network printers without the appropriate drivers!

As an example, I use a Netgear printserver on my home network, with 2 printers attached to it.
I needed to install the Netgear user-software (and the printer drivers) on each PC, but that was only once per PC, and is for the whole PC, not just for the installing account!

By "network printer" do you mean a true networked printer capable of LPR or JetDirect? Or a printer that uses Windows printer sharing?

LPR and JD printers install for all users automatically. You have to install SMB printers as "local" to make them available to all users. (Hint: create a new local port and call it \\severname\printername)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back