Installing New Sound Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakethesnake

Happy Easter! I just bought a new sound card for my computer - the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value for 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 surround, for my new Logitech Z-640's. I have not even started the installation of the sound card yet, because I am wondering where I should start. In Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel on my computer, it says Intel Intergrated Audio, and in my previous topic, I found out I have an Intel on-board sound card. It says to disable that sound card, but how do I go about disabling an on board sound card? Will I need to remove or do anything else after disabling it, or can I start putting my new sound card in?

You should be able to disable the onboard sound in bios.

Alternatively you can disable it in device manager by right clicking on the onboard sound device and select disable then ok.

Your mobo manual will show you how to do this.

Once you`ve done that just connect you new soundcard and boot your pc.

After your computer has rebooted, Windows will start the found new hardware wizard, just cancel this insert the cd that came with your soundcard and follow the instructions for installing the drivers and software.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

So I should disable my current on-board sound card (which I think is Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller - that is what it says on the device manager). After I disable my on-board sound card, I should turn off the computer, insert the sound card into the back of the mobo, turn the computer back on and install the software?

This is how i usually do.

1) Disable the Onboard Audio in the BIOS
2) Disable the onboard audio in the control panel and uninstall the onboard audio drivers.
3) Shut down the PC
4) Install new card and boot to windows
5) Install the drivers from the CD and reboot your pc

IMHO, disabling the onboard drivers for the soundcard is not sufficient enough as it wont help you to uninstall the onboard soundcard drivers. It is best to uninstall the old drivers, this will iron out any possible driver conflicts in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back