installing NVIDIA 6600 agp card, I get black screen... im going out of my mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketbomb

I just recently purchased an inno3d Nvidia 6600 agp 256 mg card, i was upgrading from a 5200, when i install the 6600 i get a black screen, say mid install the screen goes black and the suspend light goes on. when i install in safe mode, i restart windows after th windows splash screen the screen goes black and the suspend light goes on on my monitor, also there is this little white line in the top left corner before it goes black. I have flashed and upgraded my bios for my mobo, i have reformated my hard drive installed a fresh copy of windows, I have done everything. prior to reinstalling windows it did this as well and then one time it just worked out of nowhere and installed fine. but then i still wanted to clean out my comp and reformat and such.

so i reformatted thinking it qould be just an easy install and from a fresh copy of windows on an empty hard drive it did it again. but i can stick my 5200 in there and it worked like pie. im going crazy i cant figure it out.

I also thoguht it was power supply so i went and bought a 400 watt power supply thinking it would fix it and it didnt, i have tried diffrent monitors i have done everything i could think of. but i just get the black screen no matter what I do, and i cannot figure out what i did the first that made it work. ive used driver cleaner time after time thinking it would work if i tried it one more time, i dont understand what the deal is. if anyone knows what is going on or has an asnwer please for the love of god help me before i go crazy.

my comp specs are

p4 2.4 ghz
asus p4p800 mobo
Inno3d geforce 6600 ago 256 meg card
1 gig of ram
soundblaster 24 bit

it just keep going to black screen no matter what I do , anyone have any suggestions, respond here or email me at pocketbomb@gmail.com

thanks

your problem is with your monitor refresh rate.

your monitor going into standby mode is its way of saying that it does not support that high of refresh rate. while in safe mode windows loads generic video driver at 800X600 @60hz. go back into safe mode and set your refresh rate to 60hz and apply/ok settings and reboot.

when i go to my monitor tab under advanced display props it wont let me choose a refresh rate it only says hardware default or whatever, it wont lety me choose one

go to safe mode and uninstall your video card drivers.

reboot computer

what drivers were you trying to install.. ones that came on cd or new ones from manufacturer website?

go into bios and set agp slot to auto.

uninstall drivers in safe mode then reboot your computer. make sure you set agp to auto in bios.

after getting into windows go to display settings and the monitor tab. see if you can change the refresh rate.

I also had this problem once and had to upgrade the motherboard agp bus drivers from the manufacturer website..

the board was a cheap PC Chips 830L or something like that....

i aleady upgraded to the latest bios, it wont let me change refresh rate on the monitor tab , it says it set to hardware default. im going crazy i cant figure out why it wont work

that was it, its fixed man, ya know what as i read your post i remember thst exactly what i did last time to fix it , and as i downloaded i realized it, im writing that **** down in case i need to ever do it again.

thanks a bunch man, kudos

I know this thread is a few months old, but I thought it would be best to just reply rather than start a new thread.

I have this exact same problem, with the exact same symptoms and procedures, i even get the white dash at the top of the screen. The only difference is, is that my graphics card that i had been useing for 3 months did this. One day i just booted up my PC, and it loaded into a black screen. I went into safe mode and uninstalled the graphics drivers, and then reinstalled in safe mode, to boot up into a black screen again. The problem only happens when windows is utilizing the graphics drivers, hence i can boot into windows with no graphics drivers installed perfectly fine. I tried updateing my agp bus windows drivers as was suggested, but i still get this error, not to mention my mobo is insanely old.

My specs are:
ECS K7s5A
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
NVidia GeForce FX5700
so on and so forth...

Another thing that was mentioned was to set AGP Bus in motherboard settings to Auto. I don't see this option anywhere, so if that could maybe be explained a bit better it would help.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this, it's much appreciated and i will have your babies.

I got this problem too. I'm using PC Chips M891G board with P4-2.4 CPU. Can anyone tell me that where is the AGP setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back