Installing old HD into new machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my old PC (win xp) i got an error while booting up that said:

Verifying DMI Pool Data...
Disk Read Error
Please press ctrl+alt+del

I was told that this is most likely a HD or Motherboard malfunction. It was time for a new machine anyway, so I got a new win xp machine.

The only thing I want from the old machine is my media (pics, vids, some files). Can I install the old HD as a 'slave' and retrieve the old data (assuming the HD isn't bad)? How would I do this?

Thanks in advance!

That should be pretty easy. Just take the old drive out of your old computer. Look on the back of it and there should be 4 pins(for power) 20something pins for the data transfer and 4 or 5 pins 2 wide for the settings. This is the set you will need to change. Look on the drive itself for a diagram of where to put the jumper, if there isn't one, tell us what kind of drive it is and we will find you one and let you know where to put it. Lastly turn off your new computer and plug in the power and ribbon and boot up, all should be good as long as the drive is still good

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

...OR you could just leave the jumper as-is, and unplug the cable from your CDROM secondary master and use that to connect to your old drive temporarily to copy the needed files..... 8-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back