installing os with no cdrom

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey' can anyone help me with my problem...i have 2 laptop toshiba and fujitsu, it doesnt have OS. im tryin to install windows on them but they only got floppy disks...i have an external cdrw (usb) but i dont know hot to make it run...im planning to install win98...tell me plz what to do' tnx!

A win 98 Install is about 300mb so floppys are out of the question since you would need over 200 disks. Your best bet is to get a usb (or serial depending how old these systems are) CD rom drive and connect it but this can be problamatic since the system may not recignise the drive on it's own before win 98 is installed. You might be able to use a usb zip drive and copy the win 98 CD to a zip and boot with it. You will have to enable booting from USB or "external device" in BIOS for either of these to work.

BartsPE may have the usb drivers to load from same

not sure bout 98 but nt can be network installed if the laptop has nic
might be time to find cdrom for the machine

does windows 98 come on a floppy?
i have seen 95 on 17 floppy's but not 98.
you can get driver(s) for the external cd-rom that you have. you just have to find out what kind it is, go the maker's site and download the driver(s).

Here's The Deal...

Hey guys' tnx for the replies...here's the deal, i have two laptops fujitsu and toshiba with no cdroms but im using usb floppy drive. However,i have an external cdrw...how do i get to load up windows on it?i dont know the drivers for my cdrw...i have partitioned my laptop C: D:...im using usb floppy drive to boot it (win98)...what do i have to do to install Os on it?i also have a usb flash drive 32mb...thats pretty much my tools to work with' taking the Hd off the laptop is not my option...PLEASE help me guys!!!!

to install os, you must have either a cd or floppy for the os. i know win95 comes in floppy (17 of them), but i haven't seen win98 come on floppies. so you only have one choice. install an external cd rom or get one of these, and connect a full size cd rom that has ide connector and convert it to usb:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1871517&CatId=470
external cdroms are expensive (~ $200.00), however, you can get a desktop (ide) cdrom for about $15.00. it connects to a pc via an ide cable. this device converts the ide to a usb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back