installing OS without CD ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid me, formatted my hard Drive without realizing that I dont have an internal CD ROM.
And since this is a labtop, I can't even take out my Hard drive. I have a Fujitsu labtops that doesn't have a removable Hard drives So.. Now my next step was to make a boot up disk and tried to run that. ... I tried XP.. after the 6th disk.. (the last one, i get this blue screen error saying.. I need to CHKDSK. So, I boot up with 98 and then ran CHKDSK and Scandisk. But then the error is still there. So next, i tried 2000. same result.
WhAT can I DO next? Is there way to install an External CD ROM?in DOS? because I have one of those.. OR DOES anyone know any other way to install an OS on my labtop? I have 2000 or XP that i could install. (of course in CD though)

You could install Linux over network..

I think there was a way to access Windows shares from DOS too, so you could boot from a floppy and copy the Windows installation folder from another computer to the HD.

thanks guys~! but RIck, I tried that 6 floppy set that didn't work. SO my next try will be to get that US CDROM DOS drivers.
ANy one have any other suggestions?

If you have a network adapter, boot from a floppy that allows you to have network access under DOS, and access a mapped drive. Install Windows XP from a network share.

Originally posted by Nic
Try this ...

1. Download these dos usb drivers http://www.pocketec.net/downloads/duse_4_4.zip

2. Add the drivers to your win98 boot floppy (see inc. instructions).

3. Boot with your floppy, and navigate to your winxp cd's i386 directory.

4. Run winnt.exe.

Sorted!
I think Step 4 should be to run winnt32.exe, so give that a go if winnt.exe doesn't work (I learned that trick here on techspot, thanks to alphanumeric).

Thanks for the quote Nic.:eek:
My bios actually has an option for booting from a USB cd-rom. It showed up after my last flash. Might be worth flashing the BIOS if it will give you that option.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back