Installing Video Card Over Integrated Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Dell Dimension E520 with the Intel Media Accelerator X3000. I then bought the EVGA 7600GT 256-P2-N615-TX Rvideo card and want to install it. I hear that you have to first disable the integrated graphics card. I will be installing the the video card in the PCI-e slot. If anyone can give me detailed instructions on doing this please reply.

Dimension E520
Pentium® D Processor 925 (3GHz, 800FSB)
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3000

Depending on your computer as soon as you install the video card it may disable the onboard video. If you install the new card and it doesn't work then you will have to acess the BIOS and disable it from there.

The way i see it

You can only connect your monitor to either 1.
Where you connect it controls it after you install the proper drivers.
:)

Here's what I found out. Firstly, I have to uninstall all drivers or disable them through the device manager. I then restart my comp and enter the bios. From there, i have to disable the integrated graphics by choosing the PCI-e as the primary video adapter. I then shutdown the PC and insert the new graphics card and plug my moniter into that. After that its a matter of installing the drivers through the CD that came with the card.

I haven't tried this yet. I'm waiting for my video card, power supply, and monitor to come in.

Again, this is for my Dell Dimension E520.

I'll update everyone once I actually try this.

OK...here's how I did it...

It was pretty easy. You don't have to uninstall any drivers using Device Manager. All you have to do is reboot the system, enter your BIOS, and go to the VIDEO section. Select ONBOARD/PEG. PEG is PCI Express Graphics. It states that it will use the onboard graphics until a PEG card is installed. Once you install a PEG card, the onboard graphics will automatically be disabled. Save and Exit. Turn off the computer and install the graphics card in the PCI Express slot. Boot system up and cancel any hardware setup windows that it gives you. Install drivers through the CD given with the card.

The End.

Of course not but i don't think you needed to make bios changes,
where you connect the monitor
should be detected automaticaly.
I don't have internal video
but feel that would be all that was necessary.
But did you give the internal a try ? It sounds very up to date.PCI-E
What did you buy thats better.?

opdare01 : your 'fix' is for your comp - that won't work for everyones' problems in the same sort of circumstances.

Lots of people here looking - I hope they notice that you have a Dell etc.

:)

If you bought a Dell with only the onboard graphics, by default Dell sets the bios to only look at the onboard graphics. You must change that video setting to look at either the onboard graphics or PEG (PCI Express Graphics). Once the system notices that a PEG is installed, it will disable the onboard graphics.

To reply to Zipperman, I bought the EVGA 7600GT 256MB DDR3 video card. I believe I tried using the onboard graphics port but Im not quite sure. I will try it again and post the results.

To reply to CCT, I should have changed the title to specify dell systems. But I did outline my system specs in my first posting.

Sorry to waste people times.

If you take off the side and look at the back of your tower,it should be obvious which is your card connection.
You must remember where you plugged it in.You can see where it's connection is.
I still feel that if you connect it to a video card the internal hasn't
got anyway to send a signal to your monitor even if enabled,it needs to be connected.
Dell should not make it impossible to use a video card if you have a slot for one.
Ask them .
I don't like directing members to the bios.So you go on your own decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back