Installing Windows 2000 in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cprompt0806

Since nobody seems to have an answer to my previous post, here's another one..

Is it possible to install Win2k on a hard drive that is connected to a pc externally?

See, I have a laptop hd that is in a hard drive enclosure, connected in a usb port to my desktop. I tried to use the Win2k cd while using XP but it disabled the Install feature because XP is a newer OS.

I'm thinking of just getting a 44 pin to 40 pin cable and connect the laptop hd internally but someone might have a way easier/better idea about this.

FYI - I want to install Win2k for my old laptop, unfortunately the CDROM drive is broken, however the floppy drive is working.

If the floppy drive is working you may be able to do an install from the CD across the network using a boot disk.

Even if you could install 2000 on the laptop HD, Windows is going to be setup with completely different hardware than what's on the laptop would cool cause blue screens or boot failures.

There is a way to get an OS to rediscover all the hardware but I don't recall how to do it.

Why not replace the CD-ROM drive in the laptop?

The problem is I don't have a network. The desktop pc doesn't have a nic card.. (I know you're thinking it's old! And yes it is!) :)

I don't want to replace the CD-ROM drive because a new one is expensive.

* I already tried running winnt.exe from the laptop, setup already started but when I rebooted the machine I get this _ symbol blinking on the upper left of the screen. Ideas?

yes you said it get the 2.5 to 3.5 adapter and it's solved
I use them in my business all the time
they make one thats error proof
when connected it is in line with the drive
they make cheaper ones that you got to be careful of the position or you will cook the drive

if the computer supports booting from a usb drive, located within the bios, then yes you can do so, however, installing win2k before xp is the better way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back