Installing Windows Hard Drive SCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartanslayer

I am about to build my own PC. It will have a Maxtor Sata hard drive. When you are installing Windows XP Pro, do you have to press F6 and install a third-party driver? I was reading this book, and the guy said to do that. I have never heard about that before. Can you just hit install XP and let it do everything? Thanks.

Yes you need to hit F6 to install a RAID driver. You will be able to get that driver from the motherboard manufacturers website in most cases. The resulting RAID driver that you get will need to be on a floppy, so if you were planning on not putting a floppy in the computer you were building (like many do), you will have to at least have a floppy during the setup process of Windows. Sorry, theres no magic "hit install XP and let it do everything"

You install the SATA RAID drivers even if you don't plan to set up a RAID array. I just have one SATA hard drive as my only hard drive.

Thanks, also, does a PCI Express x1 on a motherboard work as a normal PCI slot? My motherboard comes with 2 PCI Express x16 slots, 2 PCI Express x1 slots, and 3 PCI slots. Do the PCI Express x1 slots work with any PCI card? Thanks.

I am using an SATA maxtor drive and did not install the raid drivers. Not needed if you are not using a RAID setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back