Installing WINXP SP2 via second hard drive partition (d:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey folks,

I'm trying to install Windows XP SP2 on a laptop that DOES NOT have a floppy drive - (only CD/DVD drive)... the problem is, whenever I use the system restore cd OR the windows XP sp2 install cd, during the middle of the install process some files cannot copy over (I get error copying file messages) - I have re-tried using both discs many, many times and everytime a file cannot copy to the hard disk (it's always different files, not the same - both CD's are fine, i've used them before).

So, I figured I'd create a 3-gig D: partition, format the C:, then copy over the I386 to install windows via the hard disk. I put in a Windows ME boot-to-DOS disc w/cd-rom support and loaded smart-drive, then ran "winnt" via C:\I386 (for some reason the D: partition had a bunch of DOS files on it, so the D: partition became the C:, even though I created/formatted the partitions correctly using the Windows Recovery Console.

MY PROBLEM: Winnt.exe will run fine at first, it will start loading files, then I get to a screen that says "Please wait while Setup copies files to your hard disk", and NOTHING HAPPENS. the gray bar at the bottom is blank. Did I do something wrong?? Help!

And you went through all of this to install SP2?

EDIT:
How long did you wait until you gave up?

Abe85 said:
NEVERMIND FOLKS. it came up - just took a while. Apparently I am an impatient little jibby

It should have never given you "error copying" messages. It may have finally installed, but there's something wrong and it may reveal itself in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back