Installing Wireless Card causes XP to freeze! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently built my own computer from the ground up for the first time and things went relatively smoothly. I only ran into a problem when trying to install my wireless network card (D-Link WDA-2320). I have installed wireless cards before in other computers and never ran into any problems but with this one it is another story.

At first the computer would not even recognize that anything was in the PCI slot and nothing would show up in the network adapters section of Device Manager. Eventually I got Windows to detect the card and continued to install the drivers as per the instructions. The computer froze near the end of the installation process so I restarted and uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them. Each time though the computer will freeze up after about a minute of being in Windows. I am completely stumped, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers several times, I have tried switching the PCI slot the card sits in, and I have tried a slightly older Wireless card (D-Link DWL-G520)from my previous computer, all with the same result. If I take the Wireless card out though, the computer will act normally and will not freeze up at all. Also wanted to add that no error messages come up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob

Computer specs are as follows:
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
  • MSI K9A Platinum Mobo
  • ATI Radeon X1950 Pro
  • 2 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM
  • Thermaltake Venus 12 CPU cooler
  • OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU
  • 160 GB & 250 GB WD Caviar SE SATA HDDs

Try manually installing the drivers. Go to device manager, then their should be your pci device with a yellow question mark by it. Right click on the device, and then go to properties. Then go to drivers then update driver, then update from a specific location, and choose your c.d. drive with the install disk in it. Worked for me..hope it helps.

WolfpackFD3S said:
I just recently built my own computer from the ground up for the first time and things went relatively smoothly. I only ran into a problem when trying to install my wireless network card (D-Link WDA-2320). I have installed wireless cards before in other computers and never ran into any problems but with this one it is another story.

At first the computer would not even recognize that anything was in the PCI slot and nothing would show up in the network adapters section of Device Manager. Eventually I got Windows to detect the card and continued to install the drivers as per the instructions. The computer froze near the end of the installation process so I restarted and uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them. Each time though the computer will freeze up after about a minute of being in Windows. I am completely stumped, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers several times, I have tried switching the PCI slot the card sits in, and I have tried a slightly older Wireless card (D-Link DWL-G520)from my previous computer, all with the same result. If I take the Wireless card out though, the computer will act normally and will not freeze up at all. Also wanted to add that no error messages come up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob

Computer specs are as follows:
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
  • MSI K9A Platinum Mobo
  • ATI Radeon X1950 Pro
  • 2 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM
  • Thermaltake Venus 12 CPU cooler
  • OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU
  • 160 GB & 250 GB WD Caviar SE SATA HDDs

Did you run the MSI tools for updates, you need these updates/drivers for all the devices you have and chipset.

tipstir said:
Did you run the MSI tools for updates, you need these updates/drivers for all the devices you have and chipset.

Yes, it is very easy to do. You should have gotten a Utilities CD included with the MSI motherboard. I did :rolleyes:

Well I had installed all of the drivers that came with all the PC components beforehand. Today I moved my computer into my roommates room so that I could plug in an ethernet cable directly to the internet and used the Mobo's update utility to update all the rest of the drivers. Tried installing the Wireless card again but it would continue to freeze and I was unable to install the drivers the way twite suggested as XP would freeze before I was able to manually do it. So still at a loss as to what I should do.

Try a different Wi-Fi card or PCI... Sounds like something is wrong with what your using right now. Not suppose to work like that.. Plug-and play should kick in, and you see it doesn't

Tmagic650 said:
Try another card...

If you would have read what I typed I had tried 2 different cards, one being a card that worked in my old computer.

It doesn't matter anyways, went out and got a wireless USB adapter instead, got it set up in a matter of seconds and now everything is fine. Thanks to those of you that offered advice.

You should check to see why your PCI slots don't work, though, you might have a bad PCI Controller? Did you clear the CMOS when you first put together the system.

the problem may be with d-link itself. I have a d-link pcmcia card for my Laptop (dwl-650) and installed exactly as the manufacterer suggested. Everytime I booted with the card in I got a BSOD. Even after booting and sticking the card in then, the same result, a crash. The problem was not with the d-link driver but with the associated icon on the task bar which tells you when you are connected or not. Somehow this conflicts with windows telling you that you are connected. The solution was to exit from this program, which leaves the drivers intact but deletes the taskbar icon. The program ran flawlessly. The real solution was to keep this program from loading at bootup by taking it out of the startup folder. D-link sometimes uses Atheros cards and this D-link model had the atheros card in it so just being curious I downloaded that Atheros driver and the card seemed to run cooler than with the drivers that d-link supplied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back