Installing XP in laptop without CDROM (have floppy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop's cdrom is not working anymore, and I am left only with floppy drive, so I was wondering if my XP is not working anymore how can I install XP without CDROM?
My first idea is to make an image or to copy XP cd into D: drive and maybe I can install from there. Is this possible?

thanks

Yes, as long as the D: filesystem is FAT32 (or you have a DOS floppy that (properly) supports NTFS).

Ntfs

actually both C: and D: are NTFS and not FAT or FAT32. Right now what I do when I need a CD is that I create a virtual CD into my desktop and then I am in network with my desktop I copy from there and I work with that CD as virtual CD, but in case XP os is gone then no virtual CD would be.

Format D: as FAT32 then? You can convert it back to NTFS later. Of course you could compile a boot floppy with network support letting you access some network share and access the CD contents that way.. (This method is much more frustrating than it may seem)

Another option would be an USB CDROM. Either a dedicated device or a CD-ROM drive attached to a hard drive enclosure. Even if your computer can't boot from that you can still make a DOS floppy with USB support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back