Installing XP on T60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

Just having some difficulty in installing XP pro on a IBM thinkpad t60.
I wiped it first with DBAN and now when i try and install XP i get the following error message:...'system did not find any hard disk drives installed in your machine'.
I have checked in BIOS and performed the HDD test which went fine.
Not sure where to turn now.....your advise will be much apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Im not too sure... it could be your bois, and unless you really no what your doing, you cant just say that its "fine".

Are you sure that it might be that your HDD isnt slotted in or the wiring isnt connected fully? Have you ever taken it out?

Sigh.. It is the super-common XP and SATA problem. If you just bothered to search, you would come up with thousands of threads and guides on the subject.

Anyways, with IBM laptops it is easy - go to the BIOS setup and set your SATA controller to compatibility mode. Install Windows and the SATA drivers. Set the controller back to AICH mode.

thinkpad - various models ?

My problem too is with a thinkpad but the 765. Mine won't recognize the cd drive and I couldn't get into the BIOS (probably just as well). I did search and have searched for months and this is what I found. I didn't write this but will type it out for you: Easy Setup "Hidden" Commands Thinkpad Easy-setup hidden keys. Thanks to Cesare Mancini (cmancininil@yahoo.com) you can do more in Thinkpad setup than IBM has told you about
On Thinkpads equipped with "easy setup", accessed by holding F1 while you power on, the following known keystrokes are available throughout setup:
When you are in TEST mode, accessed by clicking the "test" icon on the main manue, the following extra keystrokes are available:

Ctrl-A: Verbose test mode and required for some of the following as well.
Ctrl-E: Error list from most recent test(s)
Ctrl-F: fru connections
Ctrl-K: Interactive keyboard test
Ctrl-L: Low level format hard drive (DANGEROUS be careful)
Ctrl-V: View results from last test(s)

When you are in CONFIG mode assessed by clicking the config icon on the main manue, the following extra keystrokes may be available:

Ctrl-N: Serial # change (removed from later models)
Ctrl-G: UUID # change (also rflm)
Ctrl-D: XMOS utility, look at interrupts and devices installed, modify

The original writer ends by saying, "Hope that helps"

I don't know what fru, UUID or XMOS even is but if anyone has the config.sys or autoexec.bat for Thinkpad 765L with cd please forward it to me. I have a boot disk but this thing is asking me for boot disk #2 and I only have #1 or one. I also don't know how to bypass this prompt to get back to the dos drive or A: or C: or any prompt again.

Nodsu said:
Sigh.. It is the super-common XP and SATA problem. If you just bothered to search, you would come up with thousands of threads and guides on the subject.

Anyways, with IBM laptops it is easy - go to the BIOS setup and set your SATA controller to compatibility mode. Install Windows and the SATA drivers. Set the controller back to AICH mode.
Can you put that in simple terms?

At system startup tap the F1 key until you are prompted for a password or the BIOS setup screen opens. It looks and behaves like this: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-64884.html

Config->Serial ATA->SATA Controller Mode Option = Compatibility
F10 Save and Exit

Install WIndows.
Install the SATA drivers downloaded from IBM/Lenovo

Enter BIOS setup again and change the option back to AHCI.

I cannot make it any more simpler than this. If you can't do it, go find someone else to do it for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back