Installing XP over Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manners

Hi all

ok so I bought a new PC from Mesh Computers about a month ago.. It connected to the Internet but because it was Windows Vista I was having compatibility issues with online programs that I use frequently.

So - I decided to reformat and install XP over it without taking the proper precautions. I did so and when it had reformatted and installed XP I got the error;

Disk read error
CTRL ALT DEL to restart

I'm guessing this means that windows cannot locate the HDD(?) I then retried installing with no luck.

My next idea was to go back to vista and try again with a dual boot so I got my Windows Vista recovery disc and installed it but now even Vista won't run - it asks me to locate the necessary drivers before running..

I have been phoning Mesh frequently but the support team do not speak fluent english and are difficult to understand. They also don't seem to have much idea of what they're talking about.

If anyone could give me some suggestions or support it would be appreciated.

Ty,

Manners

Knowing your hardware specs would be helpful. If the hard drive is a SATA drive, your problem could be SATA/RAID controller drivers for your motherboard. Windows Vista should have those drivers included while Windows XP does not, at least not for your motherboard. While installing XP you should have been given an opportunity to install third party drivers by pressing F6. This is where you install the SATA/RAID drivers. However, this standard process requires a floppy drive with the drivers on a floppy disk.

Besides the SATA/RAID drivers, there are other motherboard drivers you'll need. Before installing an OS on a hard drive you should make sure you have all the necessary motherboard drivers compatible with the OS you want to install. Finding XP drivers for a PC that originally came with Vista is sometimes difficult though not always.

Hi, thanks for fast reply.

Yeah it's a SATA drive. my spec is as follows;

Vista Home Premium (want to install XP)
Core 2 Duo E6400
ASUS P5N-E SLI nForce 650i SLI(C55) Mainboard
2048MB DDR2
320GB Serial ATA
256MB nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS HDTV

etc

Thanks for the info but what do you suggest I do? I tried making a disc with some drivers that could help but I don't know how to make a boot up disc.

Oh btw I have no floppy drive :/

Manners

Without a floppy drive, the standard way to install your SATA controller drivers won't work. I've never had to do it but there is a way to slipstream XP and the necessary SATA drivers to bypass the floppy. Do a google search on slipstreaming windows XP with SATA drivers (I googled "slipstream windows xp sata" and got plenty of hits).

Go to the Asus website for the appropriate XP SATA/RAID drivers for your motherboard as well as the chipset drivers.

I found this guide on slipstreaming, looks good.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

i also have downloaded my ASUS motherboard drivers and graphics card drivers for XP. Although I don't know how I put this on the CD too? any other drivers I will need?

Ok heres a better one..

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--Slipstream-your-XP-installation?page=0%2C2

Guess I'll follow this through tomorrow when I'm more awake.

One last question though: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=P5N-E%20SLI&SLanguage=en-us

Which drivers will I need from here?

The other drivers can be installed after Windows is installed so they don't have to be included in the slipstreamed disk. The driver package from Asus should have most of the drivers you need. Make sure you have a sound card driver. If it's integrated sound, you can get it at Asus' site too if it's not already part of the driver package.

After installing all the drivers you think you need, check the Device Manager and see if there are any yellow symbols next to any devices. If any, you will need to add those drivers.

What are the appropriate drivers?

the ones on the ASUS website? if so which ones?

sorry and thanks a lot for the help :)

I thought we covered which ones already. SATA/RAID to be slipstreamed, and chipset, audio, LAN (if you will be using), etc. for after Windows is installed. And, as I said, check the Device Manager to see what devices, if any, still need drivers and then download and install them. You'll need the graphics card driver from Nvidia.

Sorry I just find this stuff confusing never done it before.

ok thanks gonna give this a go and get back to ya

Here is you answer : www dot howtogeek dot com/howto/windows/resolving-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-during-windows-xp-installation/[/url]

xp over Vista

I've read the column, it makes good sense to a newb.

I bought a quadcore with Vista Home Premium.

After saying I would never use Vista, I fell in like with it, however, is there a way to use an xp cloned drive to run my xp programs.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back