Installing xp pro upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

THERAP1ST

Ok I have the XP pro upgrade and I have my dvd drive as my 1st boot device but I still get this error "Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key_" does this mean that I need to install a former version of windows frist and then upgrade it to XP? I really need some help here.

:) Yes I Do Believe You Need An O/s Already Installed ...such As Windows98 ...before You Can Upgrade To Windows Xp....good Luck ,,,,,,,dragondave.

No you dont have to have a previous OS installed. but you will need the disk for the previous version as the XP upgrade will require you to insert it into the drive before it will begin the install of XP. are you watching for the "press any key to boot from cd" message during boot up? it will only appear for a few seconds and you have to be quick to press a key.

iss said:
are you watching for the "press any key to boot from cd" message during boot up?

No, I'm not. Ok heres what I have : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Upgrade, and one old gateway system restoration kit disk with a copy of windows ME rev. 1.2. When I put the XP Pro upgrade disk in I get the same "Reboot with..." message, and when I put the ME disk in I get nothing.

ok I just read in my mobo manual that it doesn't support windows ME, so is there any way to install my copy of XP with out going out and buying another OS?

Your machine does not have to support ME. Windows only requires that you insert the OS disk when asked for so it can verify that you have a previous OS and are entitled to install the XP upgrade. YOU Dont install the OS you just let windows verify that you have it.

Ok. I did that and I'm not having any luck. Heres a list of the cds I have

disk that came with mobo A8N32-SLI Series NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X 16 Support CD Rev.166.03

Samsung DVD writer nero(this drive for some reason isnt recognized)

eVGA driver CD

Microsoft windoss XP Pro with sp2 (PKR) Nov 2004 Systems Student Media

Microsoft windows XP Pro x64 edition May 2005 Servers student media/ work at home media

windows ME rev. 1.2

Wich one of these would be "Boot Media" <--- this is the problem I have I cant get pasted the screen where this message "Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key" comes up.

Windows XP "Upgrade" is not a bootable CD.. you cannot perform a "fresh" install to an empty system with the Upgrade. You'll need a full or oem version to do this.

I'm unsure of XP Pro Upgrade will even allow you to perform an install to an empty disk, but it's possible. You should see if your Windows ME disk is bootable, and if so select it's "Boot to command prompt with cdrom support" option if it is. From there, once at an A: prompt, swap cd's for the Win XP Upgrade cd.. and see if you can find setup.exe (and run it). With any luck, it may ask for full-os cd and allow you to replace the ME cd as the upgrade source, then carry on from there.

If your Windows ME cd isn't bootable either.. well, then you have a REAL problem. You'd likely then need another PC to make a bootable floppy (assuming your system even has a floppy drive) and find the appropriate DOS-mode drivers for your cdrom, etc.etc.

Any legitimate copy of XP upgrade should be bootable. I have installed numerous copies of XP upgrade on new machines. The only difference between the upgrade version and the Full version is that the upgrade contains a program that executes before install begins that requires verification that the user has a previous windows version.

anyway,
do this:
get a 98 floppy boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
start your pc with boot disk in the machine
choose "start pc with cd-rom support"
after win98 comes up, enter fdisk
take win98 boot disk out
put xp cd in the cd rom drive
navigate to i386 folder in the cd rom, and start the install process by winnt.exe or winnt32.exe command. the former is for dos, and the latter is for windows.

alidabiri said:
anyway,
do this:
get a 98 floppy boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
start your pc with boot disk in the machine
choose "start pc with cd-rom support"
after win98 comes up, enter fdisk
take win98 boot disk out
put xp cd in the cd rom drive
navigate to i386 folder in the cd rom, and start the install process by winnt.exe or winnt32.exe command. the former is for dos, and the latter is for windows.

Ok by choose start pc with cd-rom support you mean go into my bios and select my cdrom drive as a boot drive? the fdisk should be on a floppy correct? b/c right now no matter what I do i get the ****ing reboot message. When I go into my bios I setboot device prioritys, I have a floppy drive listed, then my harddrive 250gb WD SATA, and my sony dvd drive. Which one of these should be first? What I really need is for some one to take me step by step what I should do when starting my PC for the first time.

you don't need to go into bios. windows will "install" a generic driver for your cd-rom to work. no boot priority, etc. just boot with win-98 floppy and choose the option on the menu: .... with cd-rom support.
and follow the rest

I think I solved the problem, the cable I had going to my dvd drive and dvd burner drive was an HDD cable not a cdrom cable (I was using an aftermarket round cable). EDIT: Ok I accidentally exit windows set up and now when it reboted it just goes to a black screen with the curseor in the top left corner what do I do to get it to go back to windows setup?

alidabiri said:
you don't need to go into bios. windows will "install" a generic driver for your cd-rom to work. no boot priority, etc. just boot with win-98 floppy and choose the option on the menu: .... with cd-rom support.
and follow the rest

When I put the floppy in it gives me a non system disk error.
Oh and I need to mention this I went and got my neighbors XP system recovery disk (like my ME one just for XP) thats what I used to get into windows set up which I can't figure out how to get back to

EDIT:NVM I've got it working.

Ok so I got throught the windows XP set DOS part and it said that it would have to restart and then windows XP would come on and finish after I restarted. So I hit enter to restart and nothing has come on its just a black screen with the cursor in the corner. What happend?

windows install

Try holding down : ctrl + alt and hit delete; or turn off pc and restart...before your system screen comes up (dell, gateway, ibm, etc.) hold down the Ctrl ...should get you to dos screen w/ start options ..select 1. start pc with cd-rom support, at a: prompt type ..setup..or maybe change a: to c:setup.

dragondave said:
....., at a: prompt type ..setup..or maybe change a: to c:setup.
setup is a windows program and will not work from DOS!
did you complete the installation properly?

did you fdisk? delete any existing partitions?
did you format the hdd?
what option did you choose on the xp install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back