Instant Malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisLam

It is possible to download a file that installs its malware on your computer automatically (or triggered by a virus scan, mouse movement, etc.)? Or do you have to open or execute it for it to install?

And those websites that say you have spyware on our computer. I went to one today accidentally. I was searching up my calculator my anyways it automatically scanned my computer for spyware. It was quick though I pressed back before it go to the end. When i pressed back, is said that I still have spyware on my computer and that I need to download so and so. (Obviously I did not download it) Is it possible for it to install malware on my computer while I am visiting the site?

Should I post the site that I just went to?

BTW I am doing a Spybot S&D scan right now.

Thanks,
Chris Lam

OOO it turns out that Spybot S&D has found BPS Spyware Remover:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{some code in hex}

EDIT: I used S&D to fix the BPS problem.

website I went to was www2.posfy.cn/casio.html.

BECAREFUL. WEBSITE COULD BE DANGEROUS.

It is possible to download a file that installs its malware on your computer automatically

You could visit a website and get malware.

Please read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions Follow all instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, but only after doing the above.

Regards Jase :)

This thread is for the use of ChrisLam only. Please do not post your own virus/spyware problems into this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I have removed the malware myself.

Also, I have a question:

If I downloaded a file, and did not open it and did a virus scan, is there a way it can get malware onto my computer?

Thanks
Chris

Depends, but if you don't extract the file, say a torrent then the contents of that file will not be put on to your computer.

Here's a good online scanner which checks any files for malware.

Regards Jase :)

If I leave a program like BitTorrent on connected, can hackers or malware infect my computer?

Technically no, Unless they are port scanning within BitTorrent to get to their victims, all P2P programs open specific ports to allow into your computer to extract / import files ( download or upload ;) )

It's a bad thing to use a p2p program since that's where most viruses can get downloaded :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back